Please help me for a calculation why my value different from that of literature?

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation involving the energy change in a degenerate semiconductor, using the Burstein theory. The person is seeking help as their calculated value is consistently higher than the reference value. The formula used includes the Plank constant, electron concentration, and effective mass of the electron. A link to a detailed explanation of the theory is also provided.
shojean
please help me for a calculation! why my value different from that of literature?

delta E= {h^2*(3*n/pi)^(2/3) }/(8*m)

here: h Plank constant.
n the concentration of electron. n=4.46e20 cm^(-3)
m the effective mass of electron. m=0.35me (me is the static mass of electron)

I calculated for many times, but my calculated values (0.6eV) always large than that of reference, 0.201eV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ps:This is not my homework, please, Administrator, let me post my question here. many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a question from the un-knowing: What are these curled brackets meant to say and what formula is this (I don't recognize anything unless provided in Latex or on paper)

ok, this formula is a expression of energy change in the band gap in the degenerate semiconductor, it's come from the Burstein theory.
here you can look for detail:

I. Hamberg, C.G. Granqvist, J. Appl. Phys. 60 (11) (1986) 123.

Thanks for your reply!

Related to Please help me for a calculation why my value different from that of literature?

1. Why is my calculated value different from the literature value?

There could be several reasons for this discrepancy. It is possible that there were errors in your calculation or in the literature value. It is also possible that your experimental conditions or methods were slightly different from those used in the literature. Additionally, there could be random errors introduced during the measurement process.

2. How can I troubleshoot my calculation to determine the source of the difference?

One way to troubleshoot your calculation is to double-check your work and make sure all steps were performed correctly. You can also compare your methods and experimental conditions to those used in the literature to see if there are any discrepancies. If possible, try repeating the calculation using different methods or experimental conditions to see if you get a similar result.

3. Should I be concerned about the difference between my calculated value and the literature value?

It depends on the magnitude of the difference and the importance of the calculation in your research. If the difference is minimal and does not significantly affect your overall results, it may not be a cause for concern. However, if the difference is significant and could impact the conclusions of your research, it may be worth investigating further.

4. Can I use my calculated value instead of the literature value in my research?

It is generally recommended to use the literature value in your research, as it has been verified and accepted by the scientific community. However, if you have a valid reason for using your calculated value (such as improved accuracy or relevance to your specific experiment), you should clearly state and justify this in your research.

5. How can I ensure more accurate calculations in the future?

To improve the accuracy of your calculations, it is important to carefully follow the correct methods and procedures, double-check your work, and verify any values used in your calculation. It can also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field to get feedback and suggestions for improvement. Additionally, using more precise and advanced equipment or techniques can also lead to more accurate results.