How to Correctly Simplify This Boolean Expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the expression xyz + x'(w+z') + yz(w+z') by using y=z=w=1. The final answer is given as xyz + x'w + x'z', but there is confusion about the presence of yzw in the simplified expression. The correct solution is to use xyz + x'w + x'z' + yzw = xyz + x'w + x'z' + yzw(x+x'), multiply the last term and then simplify.
torx11

Homework Statement

Simplify the following
xyz + x'(w+z') + yz(w+z')

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

xyz + x'(w + z') + yz(w + z')
xyz + x'w + x'z' + yz(w + z')
xyz + x'w + x'z' + yzw + yzz'
xyz + x'w + x'z' + yzw + 0

I got the answer xyz + x'w + x'z' + yzw

However in the book it says the answer is xyz + x'w + x'z'. How could that be? I don't see any way of getting rid of yzw. Please tell me if this is correct or I need to fix something. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If y=z=w=1, just the first three terms will evaluate to 1, regardless of what x equals, so yzw is apparently hidden in there.

Use xyz + x'w + x'z' + yzw = xyz + x'w + x'z' + yzw(x+x'). Multiply the last term out and then simplify.

1. What is a boolean equation?

A boolean equation is a mathematical expression that uses the operators AND, OR, and NOT to represent logical relationships between variables that can have only two values: true or false.

2. Why do I need to simplify a boolean equation?

Boolean equations can become complex and difficult to understand, especially when dealing with multiple variables. Simplifying a boolean equation can make it easier to analyze and solve, as well as reduce the risk of errors.

3. How do I simplify a boolean equation?

The process of simplifying a boolean equation involves reducing it to its simplest form by applying logical rules and identities. This can be done manually or with the help of a truth table or boolean algebra simplification tool.

4. Can simplifying a boolean equation change its meaning?

No, simplifying a boolean equation does not change its logical meaning. It only changes the way the equation is written by reducing it to its most basic and equivalent form.

5. What are some tips for simplifying a boolean equation?

Some tips for simplifying a boolean equation include using boolean identities, such as De Morgan's laws, and applying the rules of boolean algebra, such as distribution and absorption. It can also be helpful to group terms with common variables and eliminate redundant terms.