Plot of energy against space-time

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of plotting energy against space-time from alpha to omega, using the assumption that the universe is heading towards an omega of flat absolute zero. It was suggested that the plot would resemble an inverse exponential curve and that it may correlate with the theory of an antimatter mirror of the universe. However, further research and data is needed to accurately plot this relationship, as it is not a simple function. The conversation also touched on the concept of energy density and its relation to time and volume.
axiomatical
Plot of energy against space-time (from alpha to omega)

I was wondering what a plot of energy against space-time would look like going from alpha to omega, using the assumption that the universe is heading towards an omega of flat absolute zero.

I came up with a guess of this:

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9025/plotr.png

At alpha there was high energy in a small space and at omega there will be low energy in a large space. From this information it seemed natural to plot an inverse exponential curve (like that of 1/x).

Some thoughts I got from plotting this are (probably rambling nonsense but):

• The actually points at alpha or omega are asymptotes, thus could never or will ever be reached in ordinary time. Unless you were to trace back or forwards in time infinitely then they would be?

• When normally plotting an inverse exponential function like this you would also plot along the negative x-axis, the curve would then be a mirrored rotation when going into negative space-time. This would then seem to correlate well with the theory of an antimatter mirror of the universe.
So I am wondering what people of think of this? What should the plot of this actually look like using known data? Does plotting energy against space-time actually make any real sense?

ps I am (as you have probably assumed) not a physicist. I just like playing with ideas, relationships and analogies.

Thanks.
Axio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org

Hi, axiomatical,

Welcome to PF!

axiomatical said:
At alpha there was high energy in a small space and at omega there will be low energy in a large space.
So aren't you talking about energy density rather than energy? (You actually can't even define energy on cosmological scales -- see the cosmology FAQ under "What is the total mass-energy of the universe?")

axiomatical said:
From this information it seemed natural to plot an inverse exponential curve (like that of 1/x).
1/x isn't an exponential. An exponential would be of the form ax, where a is a constant.

You have "spacetime" on your x axis, but that doesn't make sense. Spacetime isn't a number. You might want to look at the FAQ entry for "How are time and distance measured in cosmology?" You probably meant what the FAQ entry refers to as "universe standard time."

If you really mean energy density versus "universe standard time," then your graph has the right qualitative shape, but it's not really any simple function like 1/x.

-Ben

Thanks for replying Ben.

So aren't you talking about energy density rather than energy?
Yes, this is what I am trying to refer to.

1/x isn't an exponential.
I see now, I didn't know what to explicitly call the function set that produces such a curve.

If you really mean energy density versus "universe standard time," then your graph has the right qualitative shape, but it's not really any simple function like 1/x.
Can you point me to any data/research which shows that such a relationship is not a simple function like this? This is really what I am looking for. More specifically it should be 'average energy density'.

You have "spacetime" on your x axis, but that doesn't make sense. Spacetime isn't a number. You might want to look at the FAQ entry for "How are time and distance measured in cosmology?" You probably meant what the FAQ entry refers to as "universe standard time."
I see I was mixing up two concepts. I was trying to refer to the volume of space and universe standard time together since they both presumably increase proportionally.

Last edited:

axiomatical said:
Can you point me to any data/research which shows that such a relationship is not a simple function like this? This is really what I am looking for.

I don't know of anything that's accessible to a layperson, but for example: http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll8.html For a radiation-dominated, spatially flat universe, equation 8.53 gives the scale factor a as a function of t, and 8.28 gives the energy density in terms of a. This is just one type of simplified model. For realistic models, there are no closed-form expressions for this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Ah, I see I did not have anywhere near a clear model of how energy density is lost (the fact that I had not actually looked into it was clearly a pitfall).

Thank you for clarifying, I have learned several things :)

1. What is the "plot of energy against space-time"?

The plot of energy against space-time is a graphical representation of the relationship between energy and space-time in a particular system or phenomenon. It shows how energy changes as an object or system moves through space and time.

2. How is energy represented on the plot?

Energy is typically represented on the y-axis of the plot, with units of joules (J) or another appropriate unit depending on the scale of the system being studied. The specific shape and pattern of the plot will vary depending on the type and amount of energy involved.

3. What is space-time in relation to this plot?

Space-time refers to the four-dimensional concept of combining space and time into a single continuum. On the plot of energy against space-time, space is typically represented on the x-axis, with units of meters (m) or another appropriate unit. This axis shows the distance an object or system has traveled through space as it changes in energy.

4. How does the plot of energy against space-time relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This is represented on the plot by the concept of space-time curvature, which shows how energy and mass can warp the fabric of space-time. The plot can also demonstrate how energy and mass change as an object or system moves through space and time, supporting the principles of relativity.

5. What can be learned from analyzing the plot of energy against space-time?

Studying the plot of energy against space-time can provide valuable insights into the behavior of energy in a particular system or phenomenon. It can reveal patterns, relationships, and changes in energy over time and space, which can help scientists better understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It can also be used to validate or refine existing theories and models in physics.