Plotting points on ti nspire cx cas

In summary, the conversation revolved around using a TI-nspire cx cas calculator for 3D graphing. It was suggested to use other software such as Mathematica, Sage, or MATLAB if the calculator does not have the 3D graphing tool. The benefits of using a graphing calculator were discussed, such as portability and being able to use it in a classroom setting. There was also mention of student licenses for Mathematica being available.
ineedhelpnow
how would i plot points in 3D on the ti nspire cx cas? like these 3 for example: (-4,0,-1), (3,1,-5), (2,4,6)

Physics news on Phys.org
or is there any other software i can use?

Mathematica or Sage or MATLAB would be good choices. As for the TI, I would just read your manual. TI manuals are pretty well-written, I think. If you read your manual and still have issues, let us know the particular problem you have.

all that's said about the x y z coordinate system is graphing function and parametric equations for z in terms of x and y but i can't find ANYTHING on plotting points (x,y,z) so that it will show up as plane.

I'm not sure about the TI-nspire cx cas...(geez, just a couple of years ago, my TI-84 was the new graphing calculator)...but the TI-84 can't graph 3D, you have to install an application that can do it for you. So if you can't find the 3D graphing tool on your calculator, most likely you'll have to install an application on it.

Rido12 said:
I'm not sure about the TI-nspire cx cas...(geez, just a couple of years ago, my TI-84 was the new graphing calculator)...but the TI-84 can't graph 3D, you have to install an application that can do it for you. So if you can't find the 3D graphing tool on your calculator, most likely you'll have to install an application on it.

:) ti nspire cx cas definitely has 3d graphing lol i know that for a fact. i can do functions but idk how to do plots

Quite an advancement in technology over the years. You're lucky to be able to use a graphing calculator for Calc 3. At the university I'm starting next month, I'm only allowed the Sharp-520 calculators, or none at all.

yikes. some instructors don't allow at all. others allow SOMETIMES on some exams if needed otherwise no. but i always like to know how to do on calculator and by hand.

- - - Updated - - -

wait a second. the WHOLE university can have a policy like that? not the teachers choice?

The teachers choices, but even in the engineering brochure they send out, they tell you which calculators to buy: either some casio calculator, or the sharp 520. So it's the whole engineering department policy, not sure about the math and physics side.

i just started attending the university in my area and just because i couldn't understand the technology they want us to use because of how advanced it is, i have to take calc 3 at my community college instead. :p

I'm curious, what do you consider the benefit of a (any) graphical calculator? Except of course that it is required on high school?
I would always choose a laptop with for instance Wolfram|Alpha over any graphical calculator. As far as I can tell, the only reason not to, is because it won't be allowed in high school.

easy portability. and the nspire is just AMAZING

Not sure about the OP, but in high school, we were forced to get the TI graphing calculators because the teachers stressed that it was a necessary tool to learn to use. Now that I think about it, that argument does not hold. The only benefit I see is that it is portable, but so is a handheld device with W|A. Perhaps it's useful for students in a classroom environment; not sure everyone in the class would have access to a computer or device.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen the TI Inspire being used these days, it really is quite something...:cool:

the nspire is more than something :D its THE THING

and also, I don't like wolfram alpha anymore :/

ineedhelpnow said:
and also, I don't like wolfram alpha anymore :/

It's true that WolframAlpha has become increasingly tedious to use due to the advertisements and removed functionality (though it still understands plain Mathematica code for when english just doesn't cut it).

If you are a student you can get a student Mathematica license which, while still expensive, is somewhat affordable compared to the full license. It may not be the best investment in high school (I think you need to be in university/college anyway to be eligible) but if you are going to be pursuing higher math education it's a great tool that is well worth the cost IMHO.

What is the purpose of plotting points on ti nspire cx cas?

The purpose of plotting points on ti nspire cx cas is to visually represent data or mathematical equations in a coordinate plane. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of the data or equations.

How do I plot points on ti nspire cx cas?

To plot points on ti nspire cx cas, first open the Graphs & Geometry menu and select the "Points & Vectors" option. Then, use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the desired location on the coordinate plane and press "Enter" to plot the point. Repeat this process for each point you wish to plot.

Can I plot multiple points at once on ti nspire cx cas?

Yes, you can plot multiple points at once on ti nspire cx cas by using the "List & Spreadsheet" feature. This allows you to enter the coordinates of each point in a table and have them plotted on the coordinate plane simultaneously.

How can I edit or delete plotted points on ti nspire cx cas?

To edit or delete plotted points on ti nspire cx cas, simply use the arrow keys to select the point you wish to edit or delete, and then press the "Menu" button. From the options that appear, you can choose to edit the coordinates, delete the point, or clear all points from the graph.

Is there a way to customize the appearance of plotted points on ti nspire cx cas?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of plotted points on ti nspire cx cas by selecting the "Options" tab in the Graphs & Geometry menu. From there, you can change the color, shape, and size of the points, as well as add labels or data points to them.