What is Your Favorite Graphing Calculator and Why?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Farmtalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, Dan's favorite calculator is the TI-89. He likes it because it has a real nice 80s look to it and runs great. He has created hundreds of programs for fun on that calculator, so it would probably be his favorite. He also likes the Casio fx-9750 because it has a real nice 80s look to it and runs great. He has only paid full price for one calculator, the Casio.
Farmtalk
I have been a real nerd for a long time, and I have a decent collection of graphing calculators. My collection includes:
  • TI-82
  • TI-83
  • TI-83 Plus
  • TI-Nspire CAS
  • Casio fx-9750

My favorite calculator is probably the TI-82 just because it has a real nice 80s look to it and runs great. I have created hundreds of programs for fun on that calculator, so it would probably be my favorite. The only calculator I have actually payed full price for is the Casio. I bought got the TI-83 as a gift, bought the TI-82 at a yard sale for $5, paid $15 for the TI-83 Plus, and got the TI-Nspire CAS as a gift for being in Math Field Day all four years of high school :D

I was just curious as to what everyone else's favorite companion is and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I like my HP 50g a lot. It's so easy to program, and it's exceptionally powerful. The only calculator you have that's more powerful is the nSpire CAS. But I've also been greatly enjoying getting to know, of all things, a scientific calculator: the TI 36X Pro. It would be hard to beat this calculator for cost-to-function ratio.

I hope to buy one of those soon! The Hp-50g is probably the coolest calculator I've ever had (I consider it to be in the same genre as the TI-89 :cool:). For Christmas, I bought my best friend an HP-48g and he loves it! I wish I had bought it for myself, as I think Hp is a pretty sweet calculator maker. Thanks for sharing! ;)

Anybody else?

I have an original TI-92 (which is about 18 years old and still going strong) but recently switched to the TI-Voyage 200. Both have a full qwerty keyboard, which makes it a bit annoying to cart around, but I find the keyboard much easier on me than the one on, say, a TI-89. I don't know about the HP series but the Voyage is decently fast and has decent memory. I don't use the add-ons (overhead projector, data collection, etc.) so I can't compare between manufacturers but I'd recommend the Voyage. (On the other hand TI isn't going to sell an upgrade to the Voyage and they are trying to clear out the stock.)

-Dan

I'm still using my Casio fx-85 ES from my school days.

The two line function is welcome for easier handling of fractions and I never really needed a graphical calculator

SuperSonic4 said:
I'm still using my Casio fx-85 ES from my school days.

The two line function is welcome for easier handling of fractions and I never really needed a graphical calculator

Ah, I know this calculator. For myself I use Casio fx-991MS model, which I think is kinda extended version of the fx-85 with far more functions.

I love this calculator and I have been using it since around 2008. It still works fine and one thing I have notice is that these calculators are quite strong and durable. I mean even if you drop it a million times it will still work. :)

I get a vibe that a lot of people here on the forum like Casio calculators over Texas Instruments? :cool:

Over the years I have owned:

• TI-81
  • TI-85
  • TI-92
  • TI-89 Titanium
But now I just use W|A to compute the value of expressions, etc. I've never used any Casio or HP graphing calculators, so I can't comment on those. :D

Still have those calculators? I'm a big fan of the 85 and the 89! I do not own either of those! And Wolfram Alpha is absolutely fantastic! :cool:

Farmtalk said:
Still have those calculators? I'm a big fan of the 85 and the 89! I do not own either of those! And Wolfram Alpha is absolutely fantastic! :cool:

I still have the TI-89...the others were passed down to family members in school. :D

Awesome! What a fantastic calculator! I never used them on tests, but the 3-d graphing was quite handy when I was working on homework :cool:

I have several Slide-rules, but my favorite calculator is my Type II Curta made in 1968.

My go-to graphing calculator is the one by Pacific Tech, it was once shipped with every new Apple computer.

Of course I use Mathematica and GeoGebra for the heavy lifting. (I am never far away from my portable computer)

I got tired of W|A never being able to execute multiple, successive Mathematica commands. So I use Wolfram Programming Cloud now, which is quite amazing. It's essentially the full power of Mathematica, for free.

1. What is the most accurate calculator to use for scientific calculations?

The most accurate calculator to use for scientific calculations is one that has high precision and can handle complex mathematical functions. Some popular options include the TI-84 Plus, Casio FX-991EX, and HP 50g.

2. What is the best calculator for graphing and plotting data?

The best calculator for graphing and plotting data would be one with a large display and the ability to create multiple graphs and charts. Some top choices include the TI-Nspire CX, Casio fx-CG50, and HP Prime.

3. Which calculator is the best for engineering calculations?

The best calculator for engineering calculations would be one that has a wide range of functions and conversion capabilities. The TI-36X Pro, Casio fx-115ES PLUS, and HP 35s are popular choices among engineers.

4. Is there a specific calculator that is recommended for statistics?

There are several calculators that are recommended for statistics, depending on the level of complexity needed. Some popular options include the TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-9750GII, and HP 10bII+.

5. What is the most user-friendly calculator for beginners?

The most user-friendly calculator for beginners would be one that has a simple layout and easy-to-use functions. The TI-30Xa, Casio fx-300ES PLUS, and HP 10s+ are all great options for those new to using scientific calculators.