Point of intersection of 2 parametric lines

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the point of intersection between two lines, given their equations. It is suggested to use a system of equations to solve for the point, but the speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem. They mention trying to make an equation containing t in terms of s, but getting a wrong answer. The solution is to set the values of x,y and z in L1 equal to those in L2, resulting in three equations in two unknowns. The final step is to solve for s and t and check if it is consistent with the third equation.
azn4lyf89
Consider the two lines
L1: x=-2t y=1+2t z=3t and
L2: x=-9+5s y=36+2s z=1+5s
Find the point of intersection of the two lines.

My teacher said that I should use system of equations to solve for the point, but I am sort of confused on what to do because there are 2 variables. Is there something obvious that I am overlooking because this problem doesn't seem too hard. I tried making an equation containing t in terms of s and then plugging in the s for an x value, but I still get a wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Set x,y and z in L1 equal to x,y and z in L2. That gives you three equations in two the two unknowns s and t. Pick any two of them and solve for s and t. Is that consistent with the third equation? They are consistent. If you are getting a wrong answer can you show us how you got s and t and what you got?

Related to Point of intersection of 2 parametric lines

What is the concept of "point of intersection" in parametric lines?

The point of intersection of two parametric lines is the point at which the two lines cross or intersect. It is the location where the x and y coordinates of both lines are equal. This point represents a solution to the system of equations formed by the two parametric lines.

How do you find the point of intersection of two parametric lines?

To find the point of intersection, you need to solve the system of equations formed by the two parametric lines. This can be done by setting the x and y coordinates of the two lines equal to each other and then solving for the variables. The resulting values will give you the coordinates of the point of intersection.

Can two parametric lines have more than one point of intersection?

Yes, it is possible for two parametric lines to have more than one point of intersection. This occurs when the two lines are not parallel to each other and have multiple solutions to the system of equations formed by them.

What happens if the two parametric lines are parallel?

If the two parametric lines are parallel, they will never intersect and there will be no point of intersection. This means that the system of equations formed by the two lines has no solution and the lines will never cross paths.

Can the point of intersection of two parametric lines be at infinity?

No, the point of intersection cannot be at infinity. This is because the coordinates of the point of intersection represent a specific location in space where the two lines intersect. Infinity is not a specific point and therefore cannot be the point of intersection of two parametric lines.