Poisson Statistics in Solid State Physics

In summary, the Drude model states that the probability of an electron experiencing a collision in a small time interval dt is given by dt/\tau. Part (a) shows that the probability of an electron picked at random having no collisions in the next t seconds is e-t/\tau. Part (b) shows that the probability of the time interval between successive collisions falling in the range of t and t+dt is (dt/\tau)e(-t/\tau). Using this, parts (c) and (d) show that the mean time up to the next collision and the mean time between successive collisions, respectively, are both \tau. The problem can also be solved using the Poisson distribution, but requires approaching the problem in a
blue2004STi

Homework Statement

In the Drude model the probability of an electron having a collision in an infinitesimal time interval dt is given by dt/[tex]\tau[/tex].
(a) Show that an electron picked at random at a given moment will have no collisions during the next t seconds with probability e-t/[tex]\tau[/tex].
(b) Show that the probability that the time interval between two successive collisions of an electron falls in the range between t and t + dt is (dt/[tex]\tau[/tex])e(-t/[tex]\tau[/tex])
(c) Show as a consequence of a) that at any moment the mean time up to the next collision averaged over alll electrons is [tex]\tau[/tex].
(d) Show that as a consequence of b) that the mean time between successive collisions is [tex]\tau[/tex].

Homework Equations

Probability of a collision per unit time = t/[tex]\tau[/tex]
Poisson Distribution of Random Variables, Poisson(k,[tex]\lambda[/tex])= ([tex]\lambda[/tex]ke-dt/[tex]\tau[/tex])/k!

The Attempt at a Solution

So I proved part (a) by using the Poisson Distribution of RV's. Part (b) I tried to do the same thing as part (a), but for the time interval I used (t+dt)-t which gave me a lambda of dt/[tex]\tau[/tex]. Then I used k = 1 and went from there and it worked until the exponent where I got e-dt/[tex]\tau[/tex] rather than e-t/[tex]\tau[/tex]. Part (c) and (d) are where I get lost and have no clue of what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
After discussing this with my professor he said that to solve this problem you don't have to use the Poisson distribution, that being said he also told me that "if you ask the distribution the right questions" that it can be solved using the distribution. Not sure what this means in terms of how to use it... I don't understand how to approach the problem other than using the distribution and for part b) apparently I was wrong originally, but I'm not exactly sure what to "ask" the distribution.

If C is the time between collisions, I know that I want to know P(t < C < t + dt)...now this is where I get stuck, I'm not entirely sure where to go from here...Thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

1. What is Poisson Statistics in Solid State Physics?

Poisson Statistics in Solid State Physics is a mathematical framework used to describe the statistical behavior of particles in a solid state system. It is based on the Poisson distribution, which models the probability of a certain number of events occurring within a fixed time or space. In solid state physics, Poisson statistics is used to understand the behavior of electrons within a crystal lattice.

2. How is Poisson Statistics applied in Solid State Physics?

Poisson Statistics is applied in Solid State Physics to describe the random and discrete behavior of particles, such as electrons, in a solid state system. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a certain number of particles in a given energy state or position. This information is then used to understand and predict the overall behavior of the system.

3. What are the assumptions of Poisson Statistics in Solid State Physics?

There are several assumptions that are made when applying Poisson Statistics in Solid State Physics. These include the assumption that the particles are independent of each other, the system is in thermal equilibrium, and the particles are non-interacting. Additionally, the particles are assumed to have a discrete energy spectrum and the number of particles in the system is much larger than the number of energy states.

4. What are some real-world applications of Poisson Statistics in Solid State Physics?

Poisson Statistics in Solid State Physics is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the design and analysis of electronic devices such as transistors and integrated circuits. It is also used in the study of semiconductors, superconductors, and other materials used in modern technology. Additionally, Poisson Statistics is applied in research on quantum dots, which have potential applications in quantum computing and other advanced technologies.

5. How does Poisson Statistics differ from other statistical models in Solid State Physics?

Poisson Statistics differs from other statistical models in Solid State Physics, such as the Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein distributions, in that it describes the behavior of non-interacting particles in a discrete energy spectrum. This makes it particularly useful for studying systems with a large number of particles, such as in semiconductor materials. Other statistical models may be better suited for systems with interacting particles or continuous energy spectra.