Position of an oscillating piston

In summary, we are considering a simplified single-piston engine where the piston rod oscillates in simple harmonic motion and the wheel of radius 1.89 m rotates at a constant angular speed of 6.7 rad/s. If the piston is fully extended at time t=0, the position of the piston at 6.14 s can be found by adding the length of the rod to the x-component of the peg's position, which varies between +1.89 m and -1.89 m. The final answer should be given in units of meters.
Runaway

Homework Statement

Consider the simplified single-piston engine
in the figure. The piston rod oscillates in
simple harmonic motion. The wheel of radius
1.89 m rotates at a constant angular speed of
6.7 rad/s.
nvtk6q.png

(my own paint version of the figure)
If the piston is fully extended at time t = 0,
find the position of the piston at 6.14 s. Let
the origin (x = 0) be the center of the wheel.
Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

Xt= A cos(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I understand the diagram correctly, it's trying to show a wheel with a peg (the black dot) stuck through an slider that let's the piston move horizontally with the peg but not vertically. so I tried just plugging it in and got:
1.89*cos(6.7*6.14)= -1.80709

Physics news on Phys.org
Runaway said:
If I understand the diagram correctly, it's trying to show a wheel with a peg (the black dot) stuck through an slider that let's the piston move horizontally with the peg but not vertically. so I tried just plugging it in and got:
1.89*cos(6.7*6.14)= -1.80709
The x-component of the peg's position varies between +1.89 m and -1.89 m.

If you want to find the position of the piston, you need to add on the length of the rod (between the piston and the peg). But I can't tell for sure what the length of the rod is, based on the diagram (perhaps in your version of the diagram it's more clear). My point is that you have to add the length of the rod to the peg's position to determine the position of the piston.

1. What is the position of an oscillating piston?

The position of an oscillating piston refers to the location of the piston relative to its starting position as it moves back and forth in a reciprocating motion.

2. How is the position of an oscillating piston measured?

The position of an oscillating piston can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a linear position sensor or a displacement sensor.

3. What factors affect the position of an oscillating piston?

The position of an oscillating piston can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the piston, the frequency of oscillation, and any external forces acting on the piston.

4. How does the position of an oscillating piston relate to its velocity?

The position of an oscillating piston and its velocity are directly related. As the piston moves closer to its starting position, its velocity decreases and as it moves further away, its velocity increases.

5. Can the position of an oscillating piston be controlled?

Yes, the position of an oscillating piston can be controlled by adjusting the speed and frequency of oscillation, as well as by applying external forces or using a control system to regulate its movement.