Possible to Store Energy in Ionized Gas?

• I
  • Thread starter Misha Kuznetsov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Gas
In summary, it seems like it would be possible to store energy in the form of ionized gas, but the capacity would be very small. It would be possible to store energy in the form of ionized gas, but the capacity would be very small.
Misha Kuznetsov
How plausible would it be to store energy in the form of ionized gas? The idea is that a gas (I am assuming a noble gas would work best) would be ionized so that some outer electrons are removed from the atoms and then a positively charged Van de Graaff generator (or something that can fulfill the same function) would drain the electrons. My guess is that this would leave a gas with positively charged atoms as the loose electrons would be removed. Am I correct so far in my reasoning?

Then if an electrode in the ionized gas links it to ground or another source of electrons, wouldn't there be current flow in a wire connecting the electrode and ground? I curious to know if I am missing anything fundamental that would prohibit this from working and your thoughts on it (such as maybe it would be totally energy inefficient or something).

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Misha Kuznetsov said:
How plausible would it be to store energy in the form of ionized gas? The idea is that a gas (I am assuming a noble gas would work best) would be ionized so that some outer electrons are removed from the atoms and then a positively charged Van de Graaff generator (or something that can fulfill the same function) would drain the electrons. My guess is that this would leave a gas with positively charged atoms as the loose electrons would be removed. Am I correct so far in my reasoning?

Then if an electrode in the ionized gas links it to ground or another source of electrons, wouldn't there be current flow in a wire connecting the electrode and ground? I curious to know if I am missing anything fundamental that would prohibit this from working and your thoughts on it (such as maybe it would be totally energy inefficient or something).

Thanks in advance!
I think you are correct, but the ionised gas will contain relatively few atoms if collisions are to be avoided, so the capacity (capacitance) will be very small. Why not use a metal as your store of charge, as it already contains a vast number of free electrons which can be pumped out. In fact, how about the V de G sphere?

tech99 said:
I think you are correct, but the ionised gas will contain relatively few atoms if collisions are to be avoided, so the capacity (capacitance) will be very small. Why not use a metal as your store of charge, as it already contains a vast number of free electrons which can be pumped out. In fact, how about the V de G sphere?

What would be the problem with having collisions within the ionized gas?

I was thinking that to increase the possible capacity of the gas it could be compressed to add more of it in a set volume (which would lead to even more collisions, so if collisions aren't allowed that wouldn't work).

What I found interesting about ionizing gasses is that they can be ionized to a very high degree where multiple electrons are removed from each atom. Is this possible with metals also, or are they limited to having 1 free electron (such as copper)?

Either way, I think you're right since getting the same amount of free electrons in a set volume of gas as metal (even if metal can give up to one electron per atom) would take pressurizing the gas to near liquid.

Again, thanks for your reply. :)

1. Can energy be stored in ionized gas?

Yes, it is possible to store energy in ionized gas. This process is known as plasma energy storage or gas plasma energy storage.

2. How does plasma energy storage work?

Plasma energy storage works by creating an ionized gas, or plasma, and storing it in a container with high voltage electrodes. The energy is then released by discharging the plasma through a load, such as a turbine or generator, to produce electricity.

3. What are the advantages of storing energy in ionized gas?

One of the main advantages of plasma energy storage is that it is a clean and renewable source of energy. Additionally, it has a high energy storage density, meaning it can store a large amount of energy in a small space. It is also more efficient than traditional batteries, with a longer lifespan and faster charge time.

4. Are there any challenges with storing energy in ionized gas?

One challenge with plasma energy storage is the high cost of the equipment and infrastructure needed to produce and store the plasma. There are also technical challenges, such as controlling the plasma temperature and maintaining stability, that need to be addressed for efficient energy storage.

5. Is plasma energy storage currently being used?

Yes, there are several research projects and experimental facilities exploring the use of plasma energy storage. However, it is not yet widely used as a commercial energy storage technology, and further research and development is needed to make it more cost-effective and scalable for widespread use.