POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE AND ELECTRIC FIELD HOMEWORK

In summary, potential difference, or voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts using a voltmeter and is related to the electric field, which exerts a force on charged particles to create the potential difference. The direction of the electric field is always from higher potential to lower potential, causing charged particles to move from areas of high potential to low potential, known as electric current. Potential difference can also be negative, indicating an opposite direction of the electric field compared to positive charge movement.
tuyenb
Homework Statement
What is the magnitude of the average electric field inside the battery? Your answer should be in SI units.
Relevant Equations
See first picture please
I tried following the formula but it wasn’t correct. I’m sure I could get it if I had an example as I’m sure this must be a simple question for other people I was just unsure if I was doing it correct.

Attachments

• 9E845835-F645-4DDB-B47B-64100E2E5E03.jpeg
    9E845835-F645-4DDB-B47B-64100E2E5E03.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 3A79AFB0-465D-4F06-95D9-D736272F500B.jpeg
    3A79AFB0-465D-4F06-95D9-D736272F500B.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 85
Physics news on Phys.org
tuyenb said:
I tried following the formula but it wasn’t correct.
Per forum rules, please post your attempt.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts and represents the force that drives electric charges to move from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference related to electric field?

Potential difference and electric field are closely related. The electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force, while potential difference is the measure of the work done per unit charge in moving a charge between two points in an electric field.

3. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference can be calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge between two points by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is represented as V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done, and Q is the magnitude of the charge.

4. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is volts (V), named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta. One volt is equal to one joule of energy per coulomb of charge moved.

5. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured and displays the potential difference in volts.