Potential Difference and Power Dissipation Problem

In summary, to increase the power dissipated by a factor of 30 and the current by a factor of 4, the new length of the wire should be approximately 1.369 units and the new cross-sectional area should be approximately 0.730 units.
Scrubphysicst
A potential difference V is applied to a wire of cross-section area of 1 unit, length 1 unit,
and conductivity σ. You want to change the applied potential difference and draw out the
wire so the power dissipated is increased by a factor of 30 and the current is increased by a
factor of 4 .

a) What should be the new values of the length?

b) What is the new cross sectional area?

What I've done so far is:
Linitial = 1 unit, Ainitial = 1 unit
Initial power Pi = I2 * R, R = ρ * Linitial / Ainitial = 1/σ (as ρ = 1/σ, )
Pi = I2 / σ
Pf = 30 * Pi
If2 * Rf = 30 * I2 / σ

Substituting If = 4 * I
16 * I2 * L / σ * A = 30 * I2 / σ
16 * L / A = 30
16 * L = 30 * A

L * A = volume of wire = Linitial * Ainitial (as volume does not change)
=> L * A = 1 * 1
A = 1 / L
Substituting
16 * L = 30 * (1/L)
L2 = 30 / 16
final length L = √1.875 = 1.369 units

But it's wrong. (Its electronic and I only have 5 guess left (I've added 1 to it too for 2.369, didn't work either))

Physics news on Phys.org
Scrubphysicst said:
final length L = √1.875 = 1.369 units

But it's wrong. (Its electronic and I only have 5 guess left (I've added 1 to it too for 2.369, didn't work either))

Well, if it's any consolation, I got the same answer you did. 1.369 units. :confused:

Related to Potential Difference and Power Dissipation Problem

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and can be thought of as the force that pushes electric charges through a circuit.

2. How is potential difference related to power dissipation?

Power dissipation is the rate at which energy is dissipated or transferred in an electric circuit. The potential difference across a component in a circuit determines the amount of current flowing through it, which in turn affects the power dissipated by the component. This means that a higher potential difference will result in a higher power dissipation.

3. How do you calculate potential difference?

Potential difference can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be written as V=IR. Alternatively, potential difference can also be measured directly using a voltmeter.

4. What factors affect power dissipation in a circuit?

The two main factors that affect power dissipation in a circuit are the potential difference and the resistance of the circuit. Other factors that may also play a role include the type of material used in the circuit components, the temperature of the circuit, and the length of the circuit.

5. How does power dissipation affect the efficiency of a circuit?

In a circuit, power dissipation results in the loss of energy in the form of heat. This heat can decrease the efficiency of the circuit by reducing the amount of energy available for useful work. In order to improve the efficiency of a circuit, steps can be taken to reduce power dissipation, such as using materials with lower resistance or increasing the potential difference.