Potential Difference between conductors for a coaxial cable, conflict

In summary, there is conflicting information about how to find the potential between the conductors of a coaxial cable. One source suggests using the limits between the inner and outer conductors, while another suggests using the outer conductor and a point between the conductors. The difference in interpretation stems from whether the potential is calculated between specific points on the conductors or at points between the conductors.
rwooduk
conflicting results.

find the potential between the two conductors of a coaxial cable

I have already found E... E = lambda / 2 pi r epsilon

my question: What are the integration limits for finding the potential between the conductors?

say we have a radius a (inner conductor) and a radius b (outer conductor). do i integrate between a and b to find the potential between them?

This video says yes...

however if i do that V between the conductors will be CONSTANT i.e the integral will give log of a over b.

This video says no...

in this video he takes the limits between r and b, thus his solution will be a function of r, NOT CONSTANT. then he draws a graph to show it.

SO is the potential between the conducting plates constant (ln (a/b)) or NOT constant (ln (b/r)).

thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on the interpretation of "potential between the two conductors".

If you mean the difference in potential between a point on the inner conductor and a point on the outer conductor, then the answer will be a constant that depends on a and b. If you mean the difference in potential between a point on the inner conductor and an arbitrary point lying between the conductors, then the answer will be a function of the distance r of the arbitrary point from the central axis of the cable.

Likes 1 person
hmm the question says

Calculate the total potential difference delta V between the conductors if they were to carry equal and opposite charges +/- Q on the conductors.

since it says between the conductors then I'm assuming it means any point between them so it would be a function of r.

thanks for the help!

edit any idea why in the second video he uses the outer conductor (b) and a point between the conductors as the limits, and not the inner conductor (a) and a point between the conductors as the limits?

rwooduk said:
hmm the question says

Calculate the total potential difference delta V between the conductors if they were to carry equal and opposite charges +/- Q on the conductors.

since it says between the conductors then I'm assuming it means any point between them so it would be a function of r.

Actually, from the wording I think they are likely asking for the difference in potential between points on the the inner conductor and points on the outer conductor. If they wanted V as a function of r, I think they would have asked for the potential at points between the conductors. The phrase "total potential difference between the conductors" seems to me to mean the difference in potential as you go from one conductor to the other. It's similar to picking two points p1 and p2 in space and asking for the potential difference between the two points. That would generally be interpreted as finding V2-V1 where V2 is the potential at p2 and V1 is the potential at p1. That's my opinion, anyway.

any idea why in the second video he uses the outer conductor (b) and a point between the conductors as the limits, and not the inner conductor (a) and a point between the conductors as the limits?

He is starting at infinity where he is taking the potential to be zero and integrating ##\small \vec{E}\cdot d \vec{r}## to find the potential relative to infinity. So, he reaches the outer conductor first and then integrates from there on into the space between the conductors.

Likes 1 person
When you put it like that I agree. And I see, thanks for the additional reply!

What is a coaxial cable and how does it work?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable used for transmitting high-frequency signals. It consists of two conductors - a central copper wire surrounded by a layer of insulation, which is then surrounded by a second layer of braided copper or foil. This design helps to minimize signal loss and interference, making it ideal for transmitting data and audio/video signals.

What is potential difference and how does it relate to coaxial cables?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. In the case of a coaxial cable, potential difference is the amount of potential energy that is required to move an electric charge from one conductor to another. It is an important factor in determining the strength and quality of the signal being transmitted through the cable.

What is the conflict that can occur between conductors in a coaxial cable?

The conflict that can occur between conductors in a coaxial cable is known as a standing wave. This happens when the signal being transmitted reflects back and forth between the two conductors, causing interference and signal loss. It is important to properly terminate the cable to prevent this conflict and ensure optimal signal transmission.

How is potential difference between conductors measured in a coaxial cable?

The potential difference between conductors in a coaxial cable is measured in volts (V). This can be done using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is important to measure the potential difference in a coaxial cable to ensure that the signal is strong enough for proper transmission.

What are some common factors that can affect potential difference in a coaxial cable?

Some common factors that can affect potential difference in a coaxial cable include the length and thickness of the cable, the quality of the connectors and terminations, and the quality of the insulation. Other external factors such as electromagnetic interference and temperature can also impact potential difference. It is important to properly maintain and install coaxial cables to minimize these factors and ensure optimal signal transmission.