Potential Difference with Series and Parallel Resistors

In summary: Hope this helps!In summary, the circuit consists of an ideal battery with an emf of 14.0 V connected to a network of resistances, including R1 = 7.00 , R2 = 12.0 , R3 = 4.00 , R4 = 1.00, and R5 = 6.00. The potential difference across R5 is being asked for, and the equations V=iR, parallel resistance, and series resistance are being used to solve the problem. After finding the equivalent resistance of the parallel resistors and the series resistors, the current through the leg containing R4 and R5 can be calculated. Using this current, the potential difference across R4 and R
thebert010

Homework Statement

In Figure 27-72, an ideal battery with an emf of = 14.0 V is connected to a network of resistances with R1 = 7.00 , R2 = 12.0 , R3 = 4.00 , R4 = 1.00 and R5 = 6.00 . What is the potential difference across R5?

FIGURE:

|----**R1**---|
| |---**R3**---|
|---**R2**----| |
| |--|
| | |
|---**R4**-------**R5**----| |
| | |
|-----------+\emf\-----------|--|

Homework Equations

V=iR
Parallel R = R12 = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1
Series R = R12 = R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I just typed a realllllly long attempt at my solution and the page crashed and I lost everything, and I'm at work...so briefly:
R1 and R2 are parallel so R12 = (1/7 + 1/12)^-1 = 4.42ohm
R12 and R3 are in Series so R123 = 4.42ohm + 4ohm = 8.42 ohm
R4 and R5 are in Series so the same = R45 = 7ohm
R123 and R45 are parallel so R12345 = (1/8.42 + 1/7)^-1 = 3.822 ohm

after attempting various things involving V = iR (where R's in Series have same i and R's parallel have same V) I cannot seem to get the potential difference across R5...PLEASE HELPPPPPP

thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
thebert010 said:

Homework Statement

In Figure 27-72, an ideal battery with an emf of = 14.0 V is connected to a network of resistances with R1 = 7.00 , R2 = 12.0 , R3 = 4.00 , R4 = 1.00 and R5 = 6.00 . What is the potential difference across R5?

FIGURE:

|----**R1**---|
| |---**R3**---|
|---**R2**----| |
| |--|
| | |
|---**R4**-------**R5**----| |
| | |
|-----------+\emf\-----------|--|

Homework Equations

V=iR
Parallel R = R12 = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1
Series R = R12 = R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I just typed a realllllly long attempt at my solution and the page crashed and I lost everything, and I'm at work...so briefly:
R1 and R2 are parallel so R12 = (1/7 + 1/12)^-1 = 4.42ohm
R12 and R3 are in Series so R123 = 4.42ohm + 4ohm = 8.42 ohm
R4 and R5 are in Series so the same = R45 = 7ohm
R123 and R45 are parallel so R12345 = (1/8.42 + 1/7)^-1 = 3.822 ohm

after attempting various things involving V = iR (where R's in Series have same i and R's parallel have same V) I cannot seem to get the potential difference across R5...PLEASE HELPPPPPP

thanks so much

awesome so the circuit isn't showing up...BUT...take my word for it that the R's I said were parallel/series actually are...I'm pretty confident that part is absolutely correct

Hi thebert010,

Just as a point of clarification for me, what is the relationship between R1 and R3 and R2 and R3? Or in other words, are R1 and R3 in parallel or series and what about R2 and R3?

Thanks,

KEØM

Hi!
so R1 and R2 are parallel...their equivalent is then in series with R3.

At the same time, R4 and R5 are in series.

===R1=|
|...|==R3==|
===R2=|....|
|......|===|
|===R4===R5==|...|
|===+\EMF\-=======|

sorry that's the best i can do :-(

I think I can help. First thing you need to realize is that for each leg of a parallel circuit, the emf (or difference of potential) across any leg is going to be the same (14V in this case). This means you can "isolate" resistors R4 and R5 and just look at that one leg. So you know that 14 volts are being dropped across this leg. Since you have only one variable you don't know, (i) that's where you want to start. Once you find the current through that leg, you can then find out what the voltage across each resistor is.

Last edited:

Related to Potential Difference with Series and Parallel Resistors

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is responsible for the flow of current.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel resistors?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected in a single pathway, while in a parallel circuit, resistors are connected in multiple pathways. This affects how potential difference is distributed among the resistors.

3. How does potential difference affect resistors in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the potential difference is divided among the resistors based on their individual resistance values. The total potential difference across all resistors is equal to the sum of the potential differences across each individual resistor.

4. How does potential difference affect resistors in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the potential difference is the same across each resistor. This means that the potential difference across each individual resistor is equal to the total potential difference of the circuit.

5. What is the overall effect of potential difference on series and parallel resistors?

The overall effect of potential difference on series and parallel resistors is that it determines the amount of current that flows through each resistor. The greater the potential difference, the greater the current that will flow through the resistors.