Alter resistance for max power dissipation?

In summary, to find the power dissipated from R2, you need to find the voltage and current expressions for R2, and then use calculus or some other method to determine the value of R2 for which the power expression peaks.
Einar
1. The problem
Given a circuit with a 30V source and five resistors. The circuit can be drawn as two boxes. Resistor 1 (R1 = 300ohm) is in series with the source. R2 (300ohm) in the middle of the two boxes, and the remaining resistors (550 ohm) in series at the other side of the box.

The problem states: Find the power dissipated from R2 and given the possibility to adjust R2 find the max power dissipated.
2. The attempt at a solution
I
have found the power dissipated from R2, however, how can i "alter" the value of R2 (from 300 to something else) to reach a max value for power dissipated? Is the question badly written or is there a way to find a max allowed power dissipation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by boxes? It would be helpful if you drew the circuit diagram.

Einar said:
1. The problem
Given a circuit with a 30V source and five resistors. The circuit can be drawn as two boxes. Resistor 1 (R1 = 300ohm) is in series with the source. R2 (300ohm) in the middle of the two boxes, and the remaining resistors (550 ohm) in series at the other side of the box.

The problem states: Find the power dissipated from R2 and given the possibility to adjust R2 find the max power dissipated.
2. The attempt at a solution
I
have found the power dissipated from R2, however, how can i "alter" the value of R2 (from 300 to something else) to reach a max value for power dissipated? Is the question badly written or is there a way to find a max allowed power dissipation.
Hi Einar. :welcome:

Perform your calculations using "R2" as the value of that resistor, to determine its power (its voltage x its current) as an algebraic expression in terms of that pronumeral, R2.

Then sketch the equation and use calculus or otherwise to determine the value of R2 for which its power expression peaks.

Ok thanks I think i got it.

1. How can I alter resistance for maximum power dissipation?

To alter resistance for maximum power dissipation, you can use Ohm's Law (P=I^2*R) to calculate the ideal resistance value for a given power output. You can also adjust the resistance by changing the material or dimensions of the resistor or by using a variable resistor.

2. What is the relationship between resistance and power dissipation?

The relationship between resistance and power dissipation is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the power dissipated in a resistor is directly proportional to the resistance and the square of the current passing through it. This means that as resistance increases, power dissipation also increases.

3. How does altering resistance affect the overall efficiency of a circuit?

Altering resistance can affect the overall efficiency of a circuit in different ways. In some cases, increasing resistance can improve efficiency by reducing power dissipation and preventing overheating. However, if resistance is too high, it can also cause voltage drops and decrease the overall efficiency of the circuit.

4. What are some common methods for altering resistance?

Some common methods for altering resistance include using resistors with different values, changing the dimensions or material of the resistor, or using a variable resistor such as a potentiometer. You can also adjust the resistance by adding resistors in series or parallel to change the total resistance in a circuit.

5. How can I calculate the maximum power dissipation for a given resistance value?

You can calculate the maximum power dissipation for a given resistance value by using Ohm's Law (P=I^2*R) and determining the maximum current that can pass through the resistor without exceeding its power rating. This will give you the maximum power that can be dissipated by the resistor at that specific resistance value.