Power Electronics Book with DIY Projects

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent Electrical Engineering graduate's interest in finding DIY projects related to Power Electronics to gain hands-on experience for their resume. They consider building an e-bike, e-skateboard, or e-scooter with a self-designed speed controller as a potential project. The graduate also contemplates doing projects related to high power audio amplifiers but wonders if it would be better to stick to power electronics projects due to their specialization in Power Systems. They also mention their hope that entry-level positions would not be too specific in terms of hiring candidates.
victor1992
I am a recent Electrical Engineering grad specializing in Power Systems. Are there any books with DIY projects relating to Power Electronics? I would like to do some projects that I will be able to put on my resume so employers will see that I have hands-on experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it have to be a book? There's a lot of articles on the net about building your own e-bike, e-skateboard, or e-scooter. If you design and build the speed controller yourself it's a good way to demonstrate skills in motor controls. Plus it's a fun project and you get something useful out of it.

That's true, I'll look into some projects I can find online. Also, since I specialized in Power Systems, would it be good for me to do some projects relating to high power audio amplifiers? Or should I stick to power electronics projects since it relates to my specialization. Although I didnt specialize in microelectronics, I would hope that entry-level positions wouldn't be too specific when hiring potential candidates.

1. What is power electronics?

Power electronics is a branch of electrical engineering that deals with the conversion, control, and management of electrical energy. It involves the study of power electronic devices, circuits, and systems that are used to modify and regulate the flow of electrical energy.

2. What is the purpose of "Power Electronics Book with DIY Projects"?

The purpose of this book is to provide a comprehensive guide to the fundamentals of power electronics and its practical applications through do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. It covers topics such as power electronic devices, converters, inverters, and motor drives, and provides step-by-step instructions for building and testing various DIY projects.

3. Who can benefit from this book?

This book is suitable for students, hobbyists, and professionals who are interested in learning about power electronics and its real-world applications. It is also helpful for anyone looking to build and test their own power electronic projects.

4. What are some of the DIY projects included in the book?

The book includes projects such as a DC-DC buck converter, a single-phase inverter, a three-phase inverter, a brushless DC motor drive, and a solar power system. These projects are designed to provide hands-on experience and practical knowledge of power electronics concepts and their implementation.

5. Do I need prior knowledge or experience in power electronics to understand this book?

No, this book is designed for beginners and does not require any prior knowledge or experience in power electronics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds up to more advanced topics, making it easy for anyone to understand and follow along.