Power Settings VS Climb Performance

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between aircraft's basic aerodynamic forces, power settings, and climb performance. The attached table from a Cessna-182's "Pilot's Operating Handbook" shows this relationship and it is generally accepted that power is the ultimate driving force behind aircraft performance. To keep indicated airspeed (IAS) constant during a climb, a pilot must either have more excess power or reduce the rate of climb for each feet of climb. The conversation also mentions the use of formulas to combine factors such as power setting, IAS, temperature, and altitude to calculate climb performance, as well as formulas to calculate rate of climb without relying on the attached table. These formulas can be found in the aircraft's POH or
simurq
Hello everyone!

It's my first post here. So, I'll try to be as descriptive as possible. And I do apologize for a relatively long introduction part of my post which is NOT aimed at teaching smbd the basic aerodynamics but is here to help me better explain my point.

Judging from the attached table taken from a typical Cessna-182's "Pilot's Operating Handbook" (POH), there is a direct relationship between aircraft's basic aerodynamic forces, power settings and climb performance. Although it's generally accepted that indicated airspeed (IAS) remains stable at varying altitudes, the ultimate driving force behind aircraft performance is power. So, if I understand correctly, in order to keep IAS constant during a climb, a pilot must (i) either have more excess power; or (ii) reduce rate of climb for each feet of climb.

Question 1: Is there any formula(s) to combine the factors of power setting, IAS, temperature, and altitude all together?!?
Question 2: How can I calculate rate of climb (without the attached table)?

Thank you!

Rustam

Attachments

• capture_12092012_022106.jpg
    capture_12092012_022106.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 514
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi Rustam,

Welcome to the forum! Your question is a good one and shows that you have a good understanding of basic aerodynamics. To answer your first question, there are indeed formulas that combine power setting, IAS, temperature, and altitude to calculate climb performance. These formulas are known as the performance charts and are typically found in the aircraft's POH or flight manuals. They take into account all the variables you mentioned to provide pilots with the necessary information to determine the best climb performance for their aircraft.

As for your second question, there are also formulas that can be used to calculate rate of climb without relying on the attached table. These formulas take into account the aircraft's weight, power setting, and airspeed to determine the rate of climb. However, these calculations can be complex and are typically done by pilots using performance charts or by using specialized flight planning software.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy flying!

Related to Power Settings VS Climb Performance

1. What is the difference between power settings and climb performance?

Power settings refer to the amount of thrust or horsepower the engine is producing and can be adjusted by the pilot. Climb performance, on the other hand, refers to the rate at which the aircraft can gain altitude.

2. How do power settings affect climb performance?

Higher power settings result in a greater thrust, which in turn, allows the aircraft to climb at a steeper angle and gain altitude more quickly. Lower power settings will result in a shallower climb and slower climb performance.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using higher power settings for climb performance?

While higher power settings may result in faster climb performance, they also consume more fuel and put more strain on the engine. This can increase maintenance costs and decrease the range of the aircraft.

4. Is there a specific power setting that is ideal for climb performance?

The ideal power setting for climb performance will vary depending on the aircraft, weight, and environmental conditions. Pilots must consult the aircraft's performance charts and use the recommended power settings for the given conditions to achieve optimal climb performance.

5. How does climb performance affect the overall flight of an aircraft?

Climb performance is crucial for aircraft as it allows them to reach their desired cruising altitude quickly and efficiently. This not only saves time but also reduces fuel consumption and improves the overall performance of the aircraft throughout the entire flight.