Powering Our LED Project: Series or Parallel?

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving 10 by 5 LEDs and the best way to power them. The speaker suggests using a 12V source with 10 parallel strings of 5 LEDs, each with its own current limiting device. They also mention the need to determine the desired current for the LEDs. Overall, more information is needed before making a decision.
noagname
My brother and I have a project where we light up 10 by 5 leds but we aren't sure how to power it the best, and if we should put in series or parallel.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is your power source (e.g., 12 volt battery with 14.4 volts when charging)? What current do you want in each LED? What is the forward voltage drop in each LED? I think you want 10 parallel circuits with 5 LEDs plus a resistor in series. Resistor to be rated at about 3 volts, 30 milliamps (100 ohm 1/2 watt), but need to know above info first.

not sure about the current for the leds, but the voltage should be 1.8 to 2 volts. For my power source, I'm not to sure but the way to power the leds seems good.

You don't know the voltage and current characteristics of your power source? I suggest you begin by finding that information.

- Warren

I don't know what my power source is, I still need to find one.

Sounds like you don't yet have enough information to begin answering this question.

- Warren

If you are looking for suggestions for a power source I would suggest a 12V source with 10 parallel strings of 5 LEDs. Give each string its own current limiting device. Just figure out how much current you want to run through the LEDs to determine the best way to current limit.

Related to Powering Our LED Project: Series or Parallel?

1. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, forming a single path for current flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side, allowing multiple paths for current flow.

2. Which circuit is more efficient for powering LEDs: series or parallel?

In general, parallel circuits are more efficient for powering LEDs. This is because each LED in a parallel circuit receives the full voltage, whereas in a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the LEDs, resulting in lower brightness.

3. How does the brightness of LEDs differ in series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the brightness of each LED will be lower compared to a parallel circuit. This is because the voltage is divided among the LEDs, resulting in less power being delivered to each one.

4. Can I mix series and parallel circuits when powering my LED project?

Yes, it is possible to mix series and parallel circuits in an LED project. This can be useful if you want to control the brightness of different sections of LEDs, or if you have a combination of high and low voltage LEDs.

5. How do I determine the appropriate resistor values for series and parallel circuits in my LED project?

The appropriate resistor values for series and parallel circuits can be calculated using Ohm's law. In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances. It is important to choose resistors that can handle the power and voltage requirements of your specific LED project.