Practical field strength leads to negligible term ?

In summary, the Hamiltonian of a free particle in an electromagnetic field is composed of a free Hamiltonian, representing the kinetic energy of the particle, and an interaction Hamiltonian, describing the interaction between the particle and the electromagnetic field. The last term in the Hamiltonian, representing the energy of the particle due to its interaction with the magnetic potential, can be neglected for practical field strengths. This is because the practical field strengths are much weaker than the electric field strength inside an atom, making the value of the magnetic potential much smaller than the charge of the particle. Therefore, this term can be disregarded in practical calculations.
xcrunner2414

Homework Statement

the Hamiltonian of a free particle in an electromagnetic field is,

[tex] H=H_{free} + H_{int} + \frac{q^2 A^2}{2mc^2} [/tex]

where the free Hamiltonian is just [tex] {p^2}/{2m} [/tex] and the interaction Hamiltonian is,

[tex] H_{int} (x) = -\frac{q}{mc}p\cdot A + q A_0 [/tex]

Show that the last term in the Hamiltonian can be neglected for all practical field strengths.

Homework Equations

see above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't taken upper level E&M, so I barely even know what a magnetic potential is. The book also gives and equation for the vector potential:

[tex]A(x) = \frac{q'}{c} \int d^3 x' \frac{j'(x')}{|x-x'|} [/tex]

where q'j'(x) is the current density. I don't know if that helps, but I was thinking that if I just knew what number would be considered a practical field strength and then plugged that in, it would be much smaller than the other terms.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you understand the Hamiltonian of a free particle in an electromagnetic field.

First, let me explain the different terms in the Hamiltonian. The free Hamiltonian, {p^2}/{2m}, represents the kinetic energy of the particle. The interaction Hamiltonian, H_{int}, describes the interaction between the particle and the electromagnetic field. This interaction is described by the magnetic potential, A, and the scalar potential, A_0. The last term in the Hamiltonian, \frac{q^2 A^2}{2mc^2}, represents the energy of the particle due to its interaction with the magnetic potential.

Now, let's consider the practicality of the field strengths. The strength of the electromagnetic field is usually measured in terms of its intensity, which is given by the square of the electric field strength. For practical purposes, this intensity is usually in the range of 10^8 - 10^12 W/m^2. This corresponds to an electric field strength of 10^4 - 10^6 V/m. For comparison, the electric field strength inside an atom is on the order of 10^11 V/m, which is much stronger than the practical field strengths.

Now, let's look at the last term in the Hamiltonian, \frac{q^2 A^2}{2mc^2}. Since we are dealing with practical field strengths, the value of A will be much smaller than the value of q, the charge of the particle. This means that the term \frac{q^2 A^2}{2mc^2} will be much smaller than the other terms in the Hamiltonian. Therefore, we can neglect this term for all practical field strengths.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why the last term in the Hamiltonian can be neglected for practical field strengths. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Practical field strength leads to negligible term ?

What is practical field strength?

Practical field strength refers to the actual strength or intensity of an electric or magnetic field that can be measured in a specific location.

What does it mean for a term to be negligible?

A term is considered negligible if it has a very small value or impact and can be disregarded in a mathematical equation or scientific analysis.

How does practical field strength relate to negligible terms?

In some cases, the practical field strength may be so weak that any resulting terms in an equation can be considered negligible and can be ignored without significantly affecting the overall results.

What factors can contribute to a negligible term in practical field strength?

The distance from the source of the field, the type of material the field is passing through, and the strength of the source itself can all play a role in determining the size and impact of a negligible term.

Why is it important to consider negligible terms in practical field strength?

Negligible terms can help simplify equations and make them easier to solve. They can also provide a more accurate representation of the practical field strength and its effects.