Preparation for GATE exam for admission to IISc/IITs

In summary, the conversation focused on an engineering student's plan to take the GATE exam for admission to MS/MTech programs. The student is seeking help with book recommendations and practice tests for subjects such as Signals and Systems, Control systems, and Linear Integrated circuits. Some recommended books and popular websites for GATE preparation were also mentioned.
zaman999
Hi,
I'm an engineering student pursuing BE(bachelor in engineering) in electronics and communication.
Right now I'm in my 2nd year(of the 4 year course). I plan to appear for the GATE exam in my final year, for admission to MS/MTech programmes in IISc/IITs(Indian Institute of Science/Indian Institutes of Technology).
ok in case you're wondering,GATE is graduate aptitude test in engineering,see the link below

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Aptitude_Test_in_Engineering

I know that it is a difficult test with available seats being a few hundred compared to the hundred thousand appearing for the exam. So,i need help regarding the preparation.

I'm confused over the books to be referred for-
Signals and Systems, Control systems, Linear Integrated circuits.

Most of my teachers and seniors give different opinion over the same book so I'm not sure which ones to refer. Also let me know if there are any good sites that offer practice tests for the same?

Thanks and regards,
Zaman

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zaman, The best way to prepare for the GATE exam is to use books that are specifically written for the exam. There are many good books available for each subject such as Signals and Systems, Control systems, and Linear Integrated circuits. Some of the most recommended ones are:Signals and Systems: Schaum's Outline of Signals and Systems by Hwei P. Hsu Control Systems: Control Systems Engineering by Norman S. Nise Linear Integrated Circuits: Analysis and Design of Digital Integrated Circuits by David A. Hodges and Horace G. Jackson In addition to using books, there are also practice tests available online which can help you to get an idea of what the GATE exam is like. Some of the most popular sites are GATE Academy, Made Easy, and GATE Forum. All of these offer practice tests, video lectures, and other resources to help you prepare for the exam. Good luck with your preparation!

Related to Preparation for GATE exam for admission to IISc/IITs

1. How should I prepare for the GATE exam?

The best way to prepare for the GATE exam is to start early and have a structured study plan. Make sure to cover all the topics in the syllabus and practice solving previous years' question papers to get an idea of the exam pattern. Also, enroll in a reputable coaching institute or online course to get guidance from experienced faculty and access to study materials.

2. How many hours should I study for the GATE exam?

The number of hours you should study for the GATE exam depends on your understanding of the topics and your study speed. However, on an average, it is recommended to study for 6-8 hours every day, with breaks in between to avoid burnout. Also, make sure to revise regularly to retain the information.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in all subjects for the GATE exam?

Yes, it is essential to have a strong foundation in all the subjects because the GATE exam tests your overall understanding of engineering concepts. However, if you are weak in a particular subject, you can focus on it more and seek help from teachers or peers.

4. Can I crack the GATE exam without coaching?

Yes, it is possible to crack the GATE exam without coaching, but it requires a lot of self-study and dedication. You will also need to have access to good study materials and practice papers to prepare effectively. However, coaching can provide you with guidance and structure, which can be beneficial in your preparation.

5. How important is solving previous years' GATE papers?

Solving previous years' GATE papers is crucial for your preparation as it gives you an idea of the exam pattern and the type of questions asked. It also helps you identify your weak areas and work on them. Additionally, it builds your confidence and reduces exam anxiety, making you better prepared for the actual exam.