Prerequisites for Quantum Electrodynamics

In summary: Maxwell's equations and the Coulomb force. Beyond that, it's up to the physicist to fill in the blanks.
I think quantum mechanics and Relativistic kinetics is enough for your study in QED. As to Group theory, I think that Lorentz group and Poincare group is enough. Because QED is U(1) symmetry, so the gauge structure of QED is very simple.
I recommend some books for you
1) A first book of quantum field theory, A. Lahiri, and P.B. Pal, Alpha science international LTD. 2001
2) quantum electrodynamics, V.N. Gribov, and J. Nyiri, CUP press

Physics news on Phys.org
A QFT book by Mark Sredniki is available here: http://gabriel.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/MS-QFT-11Feb06.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
PRB147 said:
I think quantum mechanics and Relativistic kinetics is enough for your study in QED. As to Group theory, I think that Lorentz group and Poincare group is enough. Because QED is U(1) symmetry, so the gauge structure of QED is very simple.
I recommend some books for you
1) A first book of quantum field theory, A. Lahiri, and P.B. Pal, Alpha science international LTD. 2001
2) quantum electrodynamics, V.N. Gribov, and J. Nyiri, CUP press

Thanks. What about Relativistic QM?

maverick280857 said:
A QFT book by Mark Sredniki is available here: http://gabriel.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/MS-QFT-11Feb06.pdf

ANother online QFT book (293 pages!) is available here
http://www.physics.ucsd.edu/~crs/physics/research/QuantumFields-Krauss.pdf

When you guys have time, take a look at this page
Fields and Particles Bookmarks. It's a HUGE repository of notes in QM, maths for QM and QFT.There are some C(lassical)FT links, too (mostly GR).

Btw, Geocities has been down for sometime.

maverick280857 said:
WOW!:-p
That's a wonderful book! Very clear and complete (615 pages!)

Thanks a lot for the link!

maverick280857 said:
Thanks. What about Relativistic QM?
According to my experience, you can start your QFT directly,
you need not to know everything.

PRB147 said:
According to my experience, you can start your QFT directly,
you need not to know everything.

Interesting that you say that. The QFT book (link below) says you need to know a set of equations (some from QM, electromagnetic theory, and from relativistic QM) before you can use it. I am referring to this one: http://gabriel.physics.ucsb.edu/~mar...FT-11Feb06.pdf

maverick280857 said:
Interesting that you say that. The QFT book (link below) says you need to know a set of equations (some from QM, electromagnetic theory, and from relativistic QM) before you can use it. I am referring to this one: http://gabriel.physics.ucsb.edu/~mar...FT-11Feb06.pdf
You are referring to his euqations on page 7, right?

There is no equation from "relativistic QM".
The first 4 equations are from nonrelativistic QM. The 5th one (H= p qdot -L) is classical mechanics. The next two are from special relativity (no need to introduce QM, just classical SR) and the last one is from classical electromagnetism.

Are you familiar with these?
If not, which ones are you not familiar with? Are you familiar with special relativity?

Regards

Patrick

Okay I am teaching myself QM from Griffiths (with occasional reference to Schiff, Powell, Eisberg/Resnick--textbook2, and anything else that I find on the net). I am about to start chapter 3 (doing problems in chapter 2) so my knowledge of "equations" is limited to what I have seen upto chapter 2 and equivalent sections from other places.

I was told by a senior student that to understand QFT I need to understand QM properly first, followed by special relativity (oh and I am still learning about four-vectors/transformations...nothing more yet) and then relativistic QM (also electromagnetic theory) So my quess was that the equations I don't know are from relativistic QM...maybe I was wrong then.

Specifically I have "seen" the first equation and probably the third. I "know" something about the second equation. What I do not know then are the first, third, fourth and fifth equations. So maybe you can point me to the topics I don't know yet (which are many :smile:)

EDIT: Okay I think I know the fifth one but not properly (the notation isn't clear to me...I have never seen this in Lagrangian/Hamiltonian but again I must've only scratched the surface.)

Last edited:
maverick280857 said:
Okay I am teaching myself QM from Griffiths (with occasional reference to Schiff, Powell, Eisberg/Resnick--textbook2, and anything else that I find on the net). I am about to start chapter 3 (doing problems in chapter 2) so my knowledge of "equations" is limited to what I have seen upto chapter 2 and equivalent sections from other places.

I was told by a senior student that to understand QFT I need to understand QM properly first, followed by special relativity (oh and I am still learning about four-vectors/transformations...nothing more yet) and then relativistic QM (also electromagnetic theory) So my quess was that the equations I don't know are from relativistic QM...maybe I was wrong then.
Special relativity is quite independent from quantum mechanics. If you see equations from relativity, they are from "classical" relativity, they have nothing to do with QM per se. "relativistic QM" is, strictly speaking nothing else than QFT!
Specifically I have "seen" the first equation and probably the third. I "know" something about the second equation. What I do not know then are the first, third, fourth and fifth equations. So maybe you can point me to the topics I don't know yet (which are many :smile:)

EDIT: Okay I think I know the fifth one but not properly (the notation isn't clear to me...I have never seen this in Lagrangian/Hamiltonian but again I must've only scratched the surface.)

Hi.

You do not need to learn "relativistic QM", no. (and there is no such thing really as relativistic QM, it's really QFT !).

In Griffiths, the first eq is covered in the chapter on scattering. But you don't need this really for quite a while in QFT.
The second appears in the treatment of the harmonic oscialltor using ladder operators (VERY important for the study of QFT). The third is in the section on angular momentum.
I am not sure if Griffiths covered the 4th one. You have to look up the "Heisenberg representation" in a more complete textbook. Also very important for the study of QFT.

The fifth is really important. You need to learn and study the Hamiltonian and Lagrange approaches to classical mechanics, using Goldstein, for example.

You need to get much more familiar with special relativity too (and then the 6th and 7th equation will be well known).

And you need to develop a good basis in classical E&M too (the book by Griffiths on the subject is good too).

If you want my opinion, after learning all this stuff, before getting into a QFT book per se (like this online book), read the particle physics book by Griffiths. It would be worth your time, unless you are specifically interested in applying QFT to condensed matter only and not to particle physics.

My two cents

Patrick

Last edited:
Thanks for your two cents, Patrick :smile:

Yup loved the section on ladder operators and read it from several other places too. Still to make a formal foray into angular momentum though. And yes, I am studying electromagnetic theory from Griffiths too. I have the particle physics book by Griffiths and I think what you mean is do

Quantum Mechanics
Special Relativity
Electromagnetic Theory

and then read the Griffiths Elementary Particles book before studying QFT from anywhere else right?

No, I am interested in QFT first (and particle physics).

maverick280857 said:
Thanks for your two cents, Patrick :smile:
You are welcome
Yup loved the section on ladder operators and read it from several other places too. Still to make a formal foray into angular momentum though. And yes, I am studying electromagnetic theory from Griffiths too. I have the particle physics book by Griffiths and I think what you mean is do

Quantum Mechanics
Special Relativity
Electromagnetic Theory
yes, but don't forget "advanced" classical mechanics (Hamiltonian, Lagrangian, principle of least action, Poisson brackets). I think that you should try to get a copy of Shankar's QM book, it is quite good and gives a nice introduction to those concepts of classical mechanics. It is a very good book fro learning QM be oneself because it is both very clear and pretty self-contained.

Also make sure to see applications of the lagrangian and hamiltonian formalism to classical *fields*, not just systems of point particles. In particular study classical EM treated using the lagrangian approach (and in particular why this requires one to work with the potentials [itex] {\vec A} [/itex] and [itex] \Phi [/itex] instead of working with the E and B fields).
and then read the Griffiths Elementary Particles book before studying QFT from anywhere else right?
Yes, that was my suggestion.
Ok. Then I think reading Griffiths' particle physics book becfore getting into a QFT textbook (like Peskin and Schroeder) is very worthwhile.

Actually, I would suggest the following:

Getting a solid basis in classical mechanics, classical E&M, QM and in relativity, then reading Griffiths's particle physics book, then reading Aitchison and Hey, and then a more advanced QFT book.

All the while posting here any question you have!
Are you planning to do all this mostly by yourself or are you going to take classes? It's always important to be able to interact with other people and to discuss things, books can never completely replace this.

Just my opinion.

Patrick

nrqed said:
Are you planning to do all this mostly by yourself or are you going to take classes? It's always important to be able to interact with other people and to discuss things, books can never completely replace this.

Sure. But I most likely will be majoring in Electrical Engineering :rolleyes: so not much advanced physics for me (as courses). But I agree with you on that one.

maverick280857 said:
Sure. But I most likely will be majoring in Electrical Engineering :rolleyes: so not much advanced physics for me (as courses). But I agree with you on that one.
Ah! Ok! So you are interested in QFT and particle physics just for the pleasure of learning the topics?

Given your situation, you should take advantage of these forums as much as possible! And when you get to learning QFT, let me know. As I have discussed here many times I dislike the conventional presentation (which feel way too "ad hoc" for me). But we can discuss that later. :smile:

Good luck!

nrqed said:
Ah! Ok! So you are interested in QFT and particle physics just for the pleasure of learning the topics?

Well I wanted to do physics, but I had to get into engineering. So the answer to your question in two words is: "not just". I want to (formally) https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122582" particle physics later in life if possible so I am keeping up my interests.

Given your situation, you should take advantage of these forums as much as possible! And when you get to learning QFT, let me know. As I have discussed here many times I dislike the conventional presentation (which feel way too "ad hoc" for me). But we can discuss that later. :smile:

Good luck!

Thank you :smile:

It's possible to split the effort to understand elementary particles into two parts, roughly defined by internal versus external symmetries.

Of these two, the more simple, in my opinion, is the internal symmetries (less calculus). For these, the natural tool is the Measurement Algebra, which has also seen use recently in quantum statistics. The classic introduction is by Schwinger and is quite inexpensive:

Carl

maverick280857 said:

Griffiths is probably the best way to start in QFT. You may read in parallel
Halzen and Martin's "Quarks & Leptons", 1984 which seems to have inspired
Griffiths book from 1987 in many ways. Griffith's book follows the same
path but Halzen & Martin go a bit deeper. The both of them are a good
combination for self study.

Other good reads are Aitchinson and Hey, Volumes I and II, The third
editions are from 2002 and 2003 so they include much of the recent
experimental results. I see they are mentioned above as well.

I do like Lewis Ryder's "Quantum Field Theory" a lot.

It's good to have some feeling for the origins as well. Understanding the
historical development and knowing the people behind it. There are
many original papers in books like:

"Sources of Quantum Mechanics" B.L. van der Waerden. and
"Selected papers on Quantum Electrodynamics" Julian Schwinger.

To get to know the people there is a very entertaining book from
Martinus Veltman: Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics.
Veltman has a technical book as well which handles the whole SM:
Diagrammatica, although it has a somewhat different notation.

And then there are of course the (technical) books from Feynman:

-The Feynman lectures on Physics, Volume III (an absolute must!)
-The Theory of Fundamental Processes
-Quantum ElectrodynamicsWell, That should be enough for the time being :^)
Regards, Hans

Last edited:
George Jones said:
http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780198520740#contents" that is at about the senior undergraduate level.

That's how it's billed. I just started reading Ch. 2 on the Lorentz and Poincare group. Maybe undergrads in the UK have more under their belt, but I think the typical undergrad in the US would be lost here without an instructor to greatly expand on the material. Ryder has a more gentle introduction.

It has a number of solved problems as examples, and, at the back, it gives short solutions (not just answers) to many of the exercises. This should make it good for self-study.

Yeah, so far it looks like a very classy production.

maverick280857 said:

Srerdnicki lists the following (which looks pretty messed up cut and pasted from the pdf file)

dσ/dΩ = |f(θ, φ)|^2
a†|ni = √n+1 |n+1i>
J±|j,mi = √j(j+1)−m(m±1) |j,m±1i
A(t) = e^+iHt/¯hA^e−iHt/¯h
H = pq˙ − L
ct′ = γ(ct − βx)
E = (p^2c^2 + m^2c^4)^1/2
E = − ˙A/c − ∇ϕ

Well, I tried. My translations to the relevant concepts:

Differential cross-section for scattering
The quantum harmonic oscillator and creation/annihilation operators
Angular momentum and the step-up/step-down operators
Time evolution of an operator
Halmitonian operator in QM
Lorentz transformations
4-momentum
Electric field from vector and scalar potentials.

You'd usually encounter these in the opposite order.

My undergraduate QM text, Gasiorowicz, has all of these, though it's assumed you are familiar with the vector potential and the differential forms of Maxwell's equations, and the relativity is only in an appendix; I suggest Schwartz's Principle of Electrodynamics for the E&M and Spacetime Physics for the relativity. QM is just as good a place as any to encounter the Hamiltonian for the first time, but you usually don't get the Langrangian. I'm not going to recommend Goldstein just for that, though. I have an old edition of Symon, which is a very good book, and I like his chapter on Lagrange methods, but I wonder if there's a Dover book with good coverage of this.

Daverz said:
That's how it's billed. I just started reading Ch. 2 on the Lorentz and Poincare group. Maybe undergrads in the UK have more under their belt, but I think the typical undergrad in the US would be lost here without an instructor to greatly expand on the material. Ryder has a more gentle introduction.

Yeah, so far it looks like a very classy production.

Yes, I agree that the material on the Lorentz and Poincare groups is quite terse. In fact, I haven't found a QFT book that treats this material the way I would like to see it treated, but I am quite biased with respect to this.

Maggiore based his book on a course he gave to senior undergrads in Switzerland, and I find that, typically, European physics students are exposed to more abstract mathematics than are North american students.