Prerequisites for reading Superstring Theory Greene, Schwartz Witten

In summary, a physics professor recommended that this book be read to learn about string theory. The OP is not very far into the book and does not understand what it is talking about. The best way to learn string theory is by reading up on the following subjects: Calculus, Classical Mechanics, Linear Algebra, ODE, PDE, Differential Geometry, E&M, Quantum Mechanics, Special and General Relativity, and Quantum Field Theory. After studying these subjects, the OP has a better chance of understanding the book.
ilikephysicss
I was talking to a friend of a friend who is a physics professor, and I asked him what the best way to learn (the basics of) string theory and he said that this book (Superstring Theory Greene, Schwartz Witten) is the best and the one that everyone seems to use. So I went out and brought it after checking some reviews online.

Now I am not far into volume 1 and I don't really understand what its talking about. I have only completed advanced high school maths and physics, nothing in college. So I am wondering what I should read up on in order to understand it. Books are the easiest way for me to learn.

Thanks. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by reading up on the following subjects:

- Calculus
- Classical Mechanics
- Linear algebra
- ODE
- PDE
- Differential Geometry
- E&M
- Quantum Mechanics
- Special and General Relativity
- Quantum Field Theory
- Lie groups and their Representations

Once you studied all these topics (this will take you a few years), you have more chance of understanding a string theory book.

micromass said:

- Calculus
- Classical Mechanics
- Linear algebra
- ODE
- PDE
- Differential Geometry
- E&M
- Quantum Mechanics
- Quantum Field Theory

Once you studied all these topics (this will take you a few years), you have more chance of understanding a string theory book.

To the OP:
I am a grad student in physics and have been studying for years and still know almost nothing about GR and less than I'd like about quantum field theory and lie groups (not to mention differential geometry and topology).

Then again I want nothing to do with string theory :-p

Good luck!

[EDIT]: Come to think of it, I know less than I'd like about all of the above!

::Opens up Topological Insulators and Topological Superconductors by Bernevig to drown my sorrows::

Look, I'm just asking a question. I know its not a simple topic and I don't expect to understand it in a day, but I'm asking for a realistic learning path. If there is something that I need to learn first, I can, but I need a book recommendation or something to get me started.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this question and it would be helpful if someone would give a recommendation of what someone HAS to know in order to understand string theory.
For example:
micromass said:
- Calculus
- Classical Mechanics
- Linear algebra
- ODE
- PDE
- Differential Geometry
- E&M
- Quantum Mechanics
- Quantum Field Theory

I'm sure you don't need to know EVERYTHING about all of these things. Obviously a lot of this does have to be known as it is 'unifying' it, but what do you need to know, bare essentials? Surely someone can give a guide of some sort.

Last edited:
That's really the bare essentials, you need to know even more. :-D

I've asked the same questions, and looked into the same issues. That list is really fairly accurate. Look here- http://www.superstringtheory.com/math/math1.html -for the mathematics involved in String Theory. Click the next button on the right side of the screen to move through them all. That simply mentions the math though, and not the extensive knowledge of every major branch of physics. It's really not that hard to imagine string theory being beyond the understanding of someone with a knowledge of math and physics that hasn't gone beyond the high school level. It's certainly well beyond my understanding. Some of the equations in string theory are quite intense, and can take weeks to solve. If not longer.

I'm a physics undergrad, and I've considered string theory as a potential research path for the future, although that's all way up in the air right now. I find it incredibly fascinating in either case. My plan though, is to not worry about trying to understand the technical aspects of a theory that involves basically every other aspect of physics, until I have a solid understanding of all of those other aspects of physics. I still read plenty of research papers, books, articles and such about string theory though.

Are you a student, or just someone trying to learn about it on your own?

QuantumCurt said:
Are you a student, or just someone trying to learn about it on your own?
I am just trying to learn on my own. I did do maths in college, but I'm not sure how much I can remember. Actually, come to think of it I did a lot of maths in college. I think the last unit I did was multivariable calculus. I always loved maths but rather than pursuing science I completed accounting degree (stupid!).

QuantumCurt said:
I've asked the same questions, and looked into the same issues. That list is really fairly accurate. Look here- http://www.superstringtheory.com/math/math1.html -for the mathematics involved in String Theory. Click the next button on the right side of the screen to move through them all. That simply mentions the math though, and not the extensive knowledge of every major branch of physics.
I would say that I have previously done most of the undergrad maths, but none of the graduate maths listed sounds even remotely familiar.

I think before trying to understand string theory, you should also read "More is different" by Phillip Anderson. Google it. It is a short article and you should be able to understand it now

ilikephysicss said:
I would say that I have previously done most of the undergrad maths, but none of the graduate maths listed sounds even remotely familiar.

Most of those maths are undergrad maths. Linear algebra, and ODE(ordinary differential equations) are courses that virtually all math or physics majors take in undergrad. It's not at all unusual for undergrads to take PDE(partial differential equations) or differential geometry. Lie groups are a little less common for undergrads to take, but it's not really rare. Other undergrad maths like real analysis and complex analysis are fairly crucial as well. Topology, homology, and cohomology are fairly important too, but those are more likely to come in grad school.

The math involved in string theory is not for the faint of heart. Some of it even scares the hell out of mathematicians. String theory has in fact resolved several problems that have boggled professional mathematicians for years. It's really not a simple field in any way at all.

I'm still very early in my undergrad education, but without a solid understanding of all the physics that string theory is attempting to incorporate into one theory, it's basically impossible to truly understand string theory.

1. What is Superstring Theory?

Superstring Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of matter and the forces of the universe. It proposes that all particles in the universe are made up of tiny, vibrating strings, rather than being point-like particles as previously thought.

2. Who are the authors of "Prerequisites for reading Superstring Theory Greene, Schwartz Witten"?

The authors of "Prerequisites for reading Superstring Theory Greene, Schwartz Witten" are Edward Witten, Michael Green, and John Schwarz. They are all prominent theoretical physicists who have made significant contributions to the field of superstring theory.

3. What are the prerequisites for understanding Superstring Theory?

To understand Superstring Theory, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in areas such as differential geometry, group theory, and complex analysis. A solid understanding of quantum mechanics and general relativity is also necessary.

4. Why is it important to study Superstring Theory?

Superstring Theory has the potential to unify all known forces and particles in the universe, providing a more comprehensive and elegant explanation of the fundamental nature of reality. It also has implications for fields such as cosmology and quantum computing.

5. What are some resources for learning the prerequisites for Superstring Theory?

There are many resources available for learning the prerequisites for Superstring Theory, including textbooks, online lectures, and academic courses. Some popular textbooks include "String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction" by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John Schwarz, and "String Theory in a Nutshell" by Elias Kiritsis. Online resources such as the Perimeter Institute's online course on Superstring Theory and MIT's OpenCourseWare on differential geometry are also helpful.