Pressure Calculation in Closed Loop PV Thermal

In summary, designing a closed loop testing system for a solar thermal system using water as the heat transfer medium requires considering factors such as volume, temperature, fittings, and flow rate to calculate the maximum pressure. The ideal gas law cannot be applied, but approaches such as using Bernoulli's equation or a simulation software can help. It is important to apply a safety factor to ensure the system's safety and select the appropriate components.
skaboy607
Hi

I am trying to design a closed loop testing system for a solar thermal system using water as the heat transfer medium. There a number of fittings and and pipework involved, the water might reach temperatures up to 80/90 deg C.

I am trying to calculate what the max pressure in the system might be so I can apply a safety factor and spec the components out from there. I'm pretty sure I could do this if the medium was air using the ideal gas law for various states but with water, this falls down and I am kind of at a loss.

I can't even really say that the process is constant volume because there is a pump in the loop so work will be done.

I might be missing something here or making it to complicated but would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Designing a closed loop testing system for a solar thermal system can be a challenging task, but with the right approach, it can be done successfully.

First, let's start by understanding the basics of the system. In a closed loop system, the volume of the fluid (in this case, water) remains constant, so the ideal gas law cannot be applied. However, the liquid will expand when heated, and this expansion will create pressure in the system.

To calculate the maximum pressure in the system, you will need to consider several factors, such as the volume of the system, the temperature of the water, the type and size of the fittings and pipework, and the flow rate of the pump. You may also need to take into account any potential pressure drops due to friction in the pipework.

One way to approach this problem is to use the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a closed system. This equation can help you determine the pressure at different points in the system and provide an estimate of the maximum pressure.

Another approach is to use a simulation software specifically designed for thermal systems, which can help you model and analyze the behavior of the system under different conditions. This will provide more accurate results and take into account all the variables involved.

In any case, it is essential to apply a safety factor to your calculations to ensure the system can handle any unexpected pressure spikes or fluctuations. This will help you select the right components and ensure the safety of the system and its users.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your project!

Related to Pressure Calculation in Closed Loop PV Thermal

1. What is pressure calculation in closed loop PV thermal system?

Pressure calculation in closed loop PV thermal system refers to the process of determining the pressure required to circulate the working fluid in a closed loop photovoltaic thermal (PV-T) system. This is important for efficient functioning of the system and to prevent any damage to the components.

2. How is pressure calculated in a closed loop PV-T system?

Pressure in a closed loop PV-T system is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to volume. The working fluid's temperature and volume can be measured, and the pressure can be calculated using this equation.

3. What factors affect the pressure calculation in closed loop PV-T systems?

The pressure calculation in closed loop PV-T systems is affected by various factors such as the type and properties of the working fluid, the size and design of the system, the operating temperature and pressure conditions, and the flow rate of the fluid. Other factors, such as any obstructions or pressure drops in the system, can also affect the pressure calculation.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate pressure in closed loop PV-T systems?

Accurate pressure calculation in closed loop PV-T systems is crucial for the proper functioning and efficiency of the system. If the pressure is too low, the working fluid may not circulate properly, leading to reduced energy production. On the other hand, if the pressure is too high, it can cause damage to the components and increase energy consumption.

5. How can pressure calculation be optimized in closed loop PV-T systems?

To optimize pressure calculation in closed loop PV-T systems, it is important to carefully design and size the system components, such as the pump and pipes, to ensure proper pressure and flow rate. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help to identify and address any issues that may affect the pressure calculation. Additionally, using a suitable working fluid with the right properties can also help to optimize pressure in the system.