Pressure calculation, what am I doing wrong ?

In summary, a 110 PSI pneumatic line is able to compress a 1.230" OD spring with 0.250" wire to 700 lbs linear force. My calculations reflect I should require about 916 PSI to achieve 700 lbs of force on a 1.230" diameter spring.
MechEng2
I have a 110 PSI pneumatic line.
I have a 700 lbs linear force output.
I have 1.230" outside diameter spring using 0.250" wire.

My 110 PSI pneumatic line with cylinder is able to compress my 1.230" OD spring with 0.250" wire to 700 lbs linear force. My calculations reflect I should require about 916 PSI to achieve 700 lbs of force on a 1.230" diameter spring.
What am I doing wrong here, as I have a cylinder that can handle the 700 lbs of linear force output ? Based on my pneumatic calculations, I was thinking the max force output on 110 PSI should be about 330 lbs on my 1.230" OD.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi MechEng2. Welcome to PF!

I am not sure how your spring is connected to the pneumatic line. Is the spring connected to a piston? What is the area of the contact surface between the pneumatic line and the spring? (ie. if the spring compressed by a piston, what is the area of the piston?). How is that area related to the force on the spring and the pressure in the line?

You also have to tell us whether the 110 PSI is gauge pressure or absolute pressure.

AM

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and the help! The spring is located over a rod. It rests between to locating plates, essentially washers. the piston applies pressure to the spring and compresses the spring.
The piston is applying a load using a locating washer. I don't have that washer size. ~2.0"
Contact surface area of spring on piston locator is 0.7696 in^2.
The cylinder is a 4" cylinder, but I don't know if that matters.

110 psi is gauge pressure

Last edited:
What's the cross sectional area of the piston? The force will be Pressure times that Area. Are you assuming that the spring is the same diameter as the piston?
If the pressure is 110 PSI and the diameter of the piston is 1.23" then I think you should expect about 520 pounds force. That sort of implies the piston is in fact about 1.4 times the diameter of the spring if you are getting 700 lbs.
You seem to be using the calculated force from the spring to get 700lbs. You should be able to calibrate the spring with a known load on it, if you want to check the 700 figure. But the most likely thing is that you haven't used the right piston size, I think.
PS you need to check my arithmetic but I think it's ok and the factor 1.4 would fit in with the typical shape of a piston with a spring inside it??

sophiecentaur said:
What's the cross sectional area of the piston? The force will be Pressure times that Area. Are you assuming that the spring is the same diameter as the piston?
If the pressure is 110 PSI and the diameter of the piston is 1.23" then I think you should expect about 520 pounds force. That sort of implies the piston is in fact about 1.4 times the diameter of the spring if you are getting 700 lbs.
You seem to be using the calculated force from the spring to get 700lbs. You should be able to calibrate the spring with a known load on it, if you want to check the 700 figure. But the most likely thing is that you haven't used the right piston size, I think.
PS you need to check my arithmetic but I think it's ok and the factor 1.4 would fit in with the typical shape of a piston with a spring inside it??

I want to make sure we don't get mixed up. The cylinder is a 4" cylinder. The spring is on the outside. I use the cylinder to apply a force on the spring. Actually, the force on the spring is likely to be more than 700 lbs, but at 700 lbs the spring is at solid. I actually don't care what the final force output is, however I seem to be incorrectly calculating the max linear force capacity I can achieve out of my cylinder.

So then, if my pressure equals the cross section of my cylinder, and my cylinder is 4.0" with 110 PSI, then I am looking at max force output of 1381 lbs ?
4.0" cylinder, 2.0" R, (2 inch^2)x3.14x110 PSI= 1381.6 lbs
Assuming no load loss, is 1381.6 lbs a reasonable max force from my cylinder ?
At that point, do I care about my spring OD? The cylinder piston at 4.0" is dictating the force output, right ?

When you are trying to compute the force from the pneumatic line, you have to use the cross-sectional area of the fluid chamber. Assuming it is 4":

r = 4 in / 2 = 2 in
A = pi * r ^ 2 = 12.566 in ^ 2
p = 110 psi
F = p * A = 1382.26 lbf

When you say "at 700 lbf the spring is solid", you mean it is fully compressed? The calculation above is certainly consistent with that.

MechEng2 said:
So then, if my pressure equals the cross section of my cylinder, and my cylinder is 4.0" with 110 PSI, then I am looking at max force output of 1381 lbs ?
4.0" cylinder, 2.0" R, (2 inch^2)x3.14x110 PSI= 1381.6 lbs
Assuming no load loss, is 1381.6 lbs a reasonable max force from my cylinder ?
At that point, do I care about my spring OD? The cylinder piston at 4.0" is dictating the force output, right ?

"Yes" to all of your questions, except "No" to caring about spring OD. It is separate from the fluid.

One caveat on the last question: you should be using the internal diameter of the piston, where all of the fluid is. The fluid is providing the pressure over that area.

Can you provide an image of the setup?

lordvon said:
you should be using the internal diameter of the piston,
To be clear, it's the outer diameter (virtually the same as the internal diameter of the cylinder) . The 'inner diameter ' could imply the size of the hole that the spring sits in.

MechEng2 said:
The spring is on the outside.
I just read this and it has confused me. Do you mean the spring is not in the fluid or somehow wound round the outside of the cylinder? As @AZFIREBALL says, you need to give us a diagram.

see quick sketch of application.
upload_2018-11-14_15-2-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-14_15-2-1.png
    upload_2018-11-14_15-2-1.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 404
A square cylinder or artistic licence? :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
A square cylinder or artistic licence? :smile:

external is square.

MechEng2 said:
external is square.
OK.
This seems to be at an experimental stage. What is the final aim of the system? Springs have a bigger range of force when they are used in tension', rather than in compression. If you let it expand down into a hole in the table, the coils will not bunch up together. If you fix the top end of the spring and push through at the bottom end, you could get past 700lbs. Just an idea.

Based on calculations, I believe the 4" diameter cylinder cross section was the issue. I needed to account for that 4.0" diameter in my calculations as my driving force. Therefore, based on 110 PSI, my max force output will always be 1382 lbs regardless of spring size.

MechEng2 said:
regardless of spring size.
Exactly. The spring has nothing to do with the force that the pneumatics can produce.

For accuracy, you must use the internal diameter of the cylinder for the area calculation.

1. Why is my pressure calculation giving me a negative value?

There are a few potential reasons for this. One possibility is that your initial values or input data are incorrect. Another possibility is that your units are not consistent, which can result in a negative value. Make sure to double check your calculations and units.

2. How do I account for temperature changes in pressure calculations?

In order to account for temperature changes, you will need to use the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature. This means that as temperature increases, pressure will also increase. You will need to include the temperature in your calculations and make sure that your units are consistent.

3. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is a measure of the total pressure at a given point, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, is the difference between the absolute pressure and the atmospheric pressure. When calculating pressure, make sure to use the correct type of pressure depending on your specific application.

4. Can I use the ideal gas law for all types of gases?

Yes, the ideal gas law is a general equation that can be used for most gases at standard temperature and pressure conditions. However, for gases that deviate significantly from ideal behavior, such as high pressure or low temperature gases, more complex equations may be needed for accurate calculations.

5. How do I know if my pressure calculation is accurate?

It is important to double check your calculations and make sure your units are consistent. Additionally, you can compare your calculated pressure to known or measured values to determine if your calculation is accurate. If there is a significant difference, there may be an error in your calculations or input data.