How Do You Calculate Static Pressure Drop in a Laminar Flow Channel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the drop of static pressure in a laminar, steady state, incompressible flow in a channel. This requires solving the Naiver Stokes equations, possibly numerically, and utilizing the Darcy Friction Factor and Moody Diagram. The goal is to find the pressure drop across the channel using known fluid properties and geometry. References to the Moody Diagram and hydraulic diameter are provided for further information.
Darcy30
Hallo. Since I'm new in this field, I hope someone can help me.
I have a laminar, steady state, incompressible flow in a channel (a fully developed).
Geometry of the channel is on the photo.
How should I calculate the drop of static pressure across the channel?
Since I have Re, I did calculate a inlet velocity, but now I'm stuck.
Thanks

Attachments

• channel.png
    channel.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 156
Likes FluidDroog
Engineering news on Phys.org
To do this, you need to solve the Naiver Stokes equations, probably numerically. To get a lower bound to the pressure drop, you can at least solve analytically for the case where you remove the constriction and have rectilinear flow between parallel plates.

Likes FluidDroog
Hi Darcy30,

Was it intentional that your username would hint at the solution?

I understand the problem as follows:
  • Assume laminar, steady state, constant density (incompressible), fully developed flow.
  • Channel Geometry and Fluid Properties are known (I will assume the channel is circular)
  • The inlet velocity is known
Goal:
  • Find the pressure drop across a channel.
Solution Hint:
Darcy Friction Factor, Moody Diagram

Solution:

The pressure drop down a pipe is related to the friction factor.
For Laminar flow,
$$ f_D = \frac{64}{Re} $$
If not, then you will need to assume smooth walls or know the surface roughness.

The pressure drop is related to the following.
$$ dP = f_D * \frac{\rho*V^2*L}{2*D} $$
Break the problem into 3 sections. Inlet straight pipe, the circular restriction, and the outlet straight pipe. The inlet and outlet is straight forward. You will add up the dP for each section to find your answer.

The tricky part of this problem is that you need to integrate the friction factor (hence pressure drop) over the circular restriction. You need a formula for the relationship of Pipe Diameter, D, to length across the channel, x. Something like this:
$$ Dtube = 2 * R - R*sin(acos(R/x)) $$
Additionally, the velocity changes based on cross-sectional area. Use the conservation of mass to find that
$$ mdot = \rho*Area*Velocity $$
There is symmetry, so we only need to consider a 1/4 circle and multiply the friction factor by 2. Integrate from x = 0 to R. Or solve it numerically in a spreadsheet program with small steps of x.

PS: If the channel is indeed non-circular, then use the hydraulic diameter Dh in place of D.
$$ Dh = \frac {4*Area}{Perimeter} $$

References:
[1] Moody Diagram https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moody_chart?msclkid=7b62d23aaee911ec823e165de974644a
[2] Hydraulic Diameter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_diameter?msclkid=0899a52baef711ec890e442c37cca7b6

What is the exact statement of the problem?

1. What is pressure drop in channel?

Pressure drop in channel refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs when a fluid flows through a channel or pipe. It is caused by friction between the fluid and the walls of the channel, as well as any obstacles or changes in direction within the channel.

2. How is pressure drop in channel calculated?

The pressure drop in a channel can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the fluid properties, channel dimensions, and flow rate. Alternatively, it can be estimated using empirical correlations or through experimental testing.

3. What factors affect pressure drop in channel?

Pressure drop in channel is affected by several factors, including the fluid viscosity, flow rate, channel roughness, and channel geometry. Other factors such as temperature, density, and compressibility of the fluid may also have an impact.

4. How does pressure drop in channel affect flow rate?

As pressure drop increases, the flow rate of the fluid will decrease. This is because the energy of the fluid is being used to overcome the resistance caused by the pressure drop, resulting in a decrease in flow velocity.

5. Can pressure drop in channel be reduced?

Yes, pressure drop in channel can be reduced by increasing the channel diameter, smoothing out any rough surfaces, or using a smoother, less viscous fluid. Additionally, reducing the flow rate can also help to decrease pressure drop.