Pressure on charged spherical shell, alternative solution

In summary, when calculating the pressure on a uniformly charged spherical conducting shell, it is important to consider the force on both sides of the shell in order to get the correct answer.
Pifagor

Homework Statement

Find the pressure on a uniformly charged spherical conducting shell of Radius R and total charge Q. The answer is (Q^2) / (32*π*ε*R^4)

I´m fine doing this using the derivative of the energy as the sphere grows to get the force.

My question is: Why do I get twice the answer if I think of a small surface element dA and calculate the force on it as the field E = Q/(4πεR^2) multiplied by the charge on that surface element, dQ = dA*(Q/(4πR^2) ?

I cannot see where I double the force. How should this approach be mended?

Thanks for reading this,

Pifagor

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations Electric field due to a uniformly charged spherical shell: E = Q/(4πεR^2)The Attempt at a Solution This approach should work, as the field due to a uniformly charged spherical shell is given by E = Q/(4πεR^2). Thus, if we consider a small surface element dA, the force on it will be F = dQ*E = dA*(Q/(4πR^2))*(Q/(4πεR^2)) = (Q^2)/(32πεR^4). This is twice the correct answer. I believe this has to do with the fact that, in this approach, I am considering the force on one side of the spherical shell, while the correct answer considers the force on both sides of the shell. Thus, in order to get the correct answer, we must divide our result by two. This gives us the correct answer of (Q^2) / (32*π*ε*R^4).

Related to Pressure on charged spherical shell, alternative solution

Question 1: What is the formula for calculating the pressure on a charged spherical shell?

The formula for calculating the pressure on a charged spherical shell is P = Q / (4πr2), where P is the pressure, Q is the charge, and r is the radius of the shell.

Question 2: How does the pressure on a charged spherical shell change as the radius increases?

As the radius of the charged spherical shell increases, the pressure decreases. This is because the surface area of the shell increases, causing the charge to spread out over a larger area and resulting in a decrease in pressure.

Question 3: Can the pressure on a charged spherical shell be negative?

No, the pressure on a charged spherical shell cannot be negative. The pressure is a measure of the force exerted by the charge on the surface of the shell, and it is always positive.

Question 4: Is there an alternative solution for calculating the pressure on a charged spherical shell?

Yes, there is an alternative solution for calculating the pressure on a charged spherical shell. Instead of using the formula P = Q / (4πr2), you can also use the formula P = kQ2 / (4πε0r4), where k is a constant and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

Question 5: How does the charge distribution on a spherical shell affect the pressure?

The charge distribution on a spherical shell affects the pressure by changing the way the charge is distributed over the surface. A more concentrated charge distribution will result in a higher pressure, while a more spread out distribution will result in a lower pressure.