Pressure vessel exploding within an atmospheric chamber

In summary, pressure test safety is an issue that I am currently investigating. My current employer uses the Boyles Law to calculate the pressure inside a steel container if the vessel it is in fails. However, I believe that this method does not take into account the volume of air that is trapped and compressed inside the container. This could lead to a higher pressure after a failure than what would be calculated using Boyles Law. I am trying to find a way to take into account the air pressure andvolume inside the container in order to calculate a more accurate p2.
Ryan26
I am currently investigating pressure test safety with my current employer. Currently we test pressure vessels inside steel test containers, see attached pdf.

At the moment Boyles law is used to calculate the resultant pressure increase inside the steel container if the pressure vessel was to fail and suddenly release pressurised Nitrogen. However I don't believe this takes into account the volume of air that would be trapped and compressed inside the steel container. This means the actual volume the Nitrogen occupies is less than internal dimensions of the test container and there for the pressure inside after a vessel failure would be higher.

We use this (p1v1= p2v2, p(nitrogen 1kpsi) x v(volume of vessel) = p2 (?) x v(volume of test container).

What can I do to take into account the atmospheric pressure and volume of air already inside the test container to obtain a more accurate p2?

Thank you very much,

Attachments

• test container.pdf
    3.4 KB · Views: 325
Physics news on Phys.org
Ryan26 said:
What can I do to take into account the atmospheric pressure and volume of air already inside the test container to obtain a more accurate p2?

You can use ##PV=nRT## (assume T is constant) to calculate the ##n## for the atmosphere inside of the steel test container; use it again to calculate ##n## for the compressed gas inside pressure vessel; and then you'll have the total ##n## value inside the test container if the pressure vessel fails so can calculate the ##P## value after the failure.

For realistic conditions, you'll probably find that the difference from including the air in the container is negligible. I'd be at least as concerned about the steel test container being able to mechanically contain flying shrapnel from the pressure vessel if it blows apart.

Thank you vey much for your reply. You are correct for pointing out the projectile damage that would occur. I have analysed this via stored energy withing the the vessel, blast, gas expansion, strain etc...

The likelyhood of the vessel failing is very minimal, and the possible projectile caps are aimed at the end walls. I needed the P2 value in order to determine the force that may be applied to the roof of the container if the pressurised gas was to escape. As in reality this is a lid, locked with pins so a shear force is generated.

The information you have provided is what I was after, so thanks again!

Last edited:
Hello again,

I'm still working on this issue. I can estimate the impact of the projectiles hitting the container walls via calculating the stored energy in the vessel. Converting this directly to kinetic energy to different elements of the vessel, ductile and brittle failure modes. This is a conservative estimate as I understand a lot of energy will be lost through the gas expansion pressure wave.

This is what I'm concerned about, the rapid expansion of gas near the point of exit from the pressure vessel. Assuming all energy from the vessel is converted to pressure wave. How can I estimate the resultant force acting locally on the container walls? Could separation losses in pipeflow be used?

PV=nRT gives me a total gas volume and pressure after the gas is released. Is there anyway I could use the stored energy to show pressure at the instant it escapes? Using the distance from the vessel to the container and container XSA to somehow estimate the pressure wave?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

As a scientist, it is important to always consider all factors and variables when conducting experiments and tests. In the scenario you have described, it is crucial to take into account the atmospheric pressure and volume of air already inside the test container in order to obtain a more accurate p2. One way to do this would be to use the ideal gas law, which takes into account the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. By including the volume and pressure of the air already inside the container, you can calculate a more precise p2 value after a vessel failure. Additionally, it may be helpful to conduct simulations or experiments to validate the results obtained from the ideal gas law calculation. It is important to prioritize safety in pressure testing and to continuously review and improve upon current methods to ensure accurate and reliable results.

1. What is a pressure vessel?

A pressure vessel is a container that is designed to hold a fluid or gas at a pressure that is different from the surrounding atmospheric pressure. It is typically made of strong materials such as steel or aluminum, and is used in various industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and power generation.

2. Why would a pressure vessel explode within an atmospheric chamber?

A pressure vessel may explode within an atmospheric chamber if there is a sudden increase in pressure inside the vessel, causing it to rupture. This can happen due to factors such as a malfunctioning safety valve, corrosion or wear and tear of the vessel, or exceeding the maximum allowable pressure.

3. What are the potential dangers of a pressure vessel exploding within an atmospheric chamber?

The potential dangers of a pressure vessel exploding within an atmospheric chamber include injury or death to anyone in the vicinity, damage to property or equipment, and release of hazardous materials into the environment. It can also lead to production downtime, financial losses, and damage to a company's reputation.

4. How can the risk of a pressure vessel exploding within an atmospheric chamber be reduced?

The risk of a pressure vessel exploding within an atmospheric chamber can be reduced by following strict safety guidelines and regulations, performing regular inspections and maintenance of the vessel, and monitoring the pressure and temperature inside the vessel. It is also important to have emergency plans in place in case of an explosion.

5. What should be done in case a pressure vessel explodes within an atmospheric chamber?

If a pressure vessel explodes within an atmospheric chamber, the immediate response should be to evacuate the area and call for emergency services. The surrounding area should be cordoned off and the leak or spill of any hazardous materials should be contained. An investigation should be conducted to determine the cause of the explosion and measures should be taken to prevent it from happening again in the future.