Probability current density of a stationary state

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in calculating the probability current density for a stationary state in a finite difference program solving the 1D time-independent Schrodinger equation. The program returns a real function, making it impossible to use the usual formula for current density. It is mentioned that many stationary states have a zero current density, such as the ground state. To obtain a non-zero current density, the program would need to be modified to allow for more general solutions.
Thomas Rigby
TL;DR Summary
How do I calculate the probability current density for a solution of the time-independent Schrodinger equation?
I have written a finite difference program to solve 1D time-independent Schrodinger equation. It seems to work correctly for harmonic oscillator, particle in a box, etc. But I can't figure out how to calculate the probability current density. It should be constant, but what is it? The program returns a real function, so I can't use the usual formula for current density. And I don't know how to get the velocity so I can't use density times velocity.

I will post this question as is. If it needs more clarification, then I will add it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think, there's something wrong? In a stationary state the probability density ##\rho=\psi^* \psi## is time-independent for an energy eigenstate ##\psi## (that's why the energy eigenstates are the stationary states of the system). Thus the only constraint from unitarity, ##\partial_t \rho + \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}=\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}=0##, i.e., ##\vec{j}=0## is not a priori wrong :-).

I am not interested in the trivial cases where j=0.

Thomas Rigby said:
I am not interested in the trivial cases where j=0.
How could a stationary state have ##j \neq 0##?

Likes vanhees71
DrClaude said:
How could a stationary state have ##j \neq 0##?

Plane wave in free space.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
Thomas Rigby said:
The program returns a real function, so I can't use the usual formula for current density.
You can use it and the result is 0. Many stationary states have j=0. For instance, the ground state often has j=0.

If you want to get nonzero j, you should modify your program to allow for more general solutions.

How do you show that the particle current density J vanishes for a stationary states.

Related to Probability current density of a stationary state

1. What is probability current density in a stationary state?

Probability current density in a stationary state refers to the flow of probability in a system that is in a stable, unchanging state. It is a measure of the rate at which probability is transferred from one point in the system to another.

2. How is probability current density calculated?

Probability current density is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It involves taking the complex conjugate of the wave function and multiplying it by the gradient of the wave function.

3. What is the significance of probability current density in quantum mechanics?

Probability current density is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a particular location at a given time.

4. How does probability current density relate to the uncertainty principle?

According to the uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Probability current density helps us understand this principle by showing us that the more we know about the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

5. Can probability current density be negative?

Yes, probability current density can be negative. This indicates that the probability is flowing in the opposite direction of the current. In quantum mechanics, particles can also have negative probabilities, which means they have a higher chance of being found in certain regions of space than in others.