Probability Density Function problem

In summary, the student attempted to solve the equation but became stuck. They found a way to solve it using the formal solution of the cubic equation but it became complicated.
Saracen Rue

Homework Statement

Presume the relation ##\frac{x}{x+y^2}-y=x## is defined over the domain ##[0,1]##.

(a) Rearrange this relation for ##y## and define it as a function, ##f(x)##.
(b) Function ##f(x)## is dilated by a factor of ##a## from the y-axis, transforming it into a probability density function, ##p(x)##. Find the value of ##a## correct to 4 decimal places.
(c) Determine the following correct to 3 decimal places:

I) The mean of ##p(x)##
II) The standard deviation of ##p(x)##
III) The median, ##m##, of ##p(x)##
(d) Calculate the probability of discrete random variable ##x## being within ##a## standard deviations either side of the mean.

Homework Equations

Knowledge of integration, probability density functions, and the rearranging and solving of equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with part ##(a)##, I attempted to rearrange ##\frac{x}{x+y^2}-y=x## for ##y##. I managed to express the equation in the form ##y^3+xy^2+xy+x^2-x=0## however this is where I become stuck. I'm unsure of how to factorise this equation for ##y## and my calculator simply returns an error message when I try and use it. Is there another way to do this that I'm missing or don't know about?

Thank you for taking your time to read this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations so far look correct. I don't think that formula can be factorised. A formula for the solution of the cubic in y could be written (see cubic solution formula here) but it would be very messy and I doubt that's what was intended.
Perhaps the question contains an error like a wrong sign, and the question it was supposed to be is factorisable where the one they actually wrote is not.

Where did you get the question? It has a number of other errors, such as
  • the statement that the relation is over the domain [0,1], which cannot be correct as there are two variables and [0,1] is only one-dimensional. Perhaps they meant to say [0,1] x [0,1].
  • the references to the mean, standard deviation and median of p(x) are meaningless, since those statistics are properties of random variables and p(x) is not a random variable. Perhaps they meant to say the random variable whose pdf is p.

There may be a simple way to factor it, but with a little effort in trying to factor it, I came up empty. Suggestion would be to do the formal solution of the cubic equation on it in order to determine the factors.

A follow-on: I worked through most of the formal solution of the cubic equation for this problem. Unless I made algebraic errors, it doesn't appear to simplify a great deal and you get complicated polynomials of powers of x from the 5th power to the second power (the 6th power term cancelled) inside of a square root sign. That part is the solution to a quadratic equation that you add an expression consisting of a 3rd power polynomial in x and then take a cube root of it. Finally, you would then do a similar computation to get the "s" term, (solving for s and t), y'=s-t, and then y=y'-x/3. This one does not appear to be simple.

Maybe you are not expected to get it into the form y=... Try proceeding to the next part, which involves computing ∫y.dx. Can you see a way to do that?

1. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It gives the probability of a specific outcome occurring within a given range of values.

2. How is a PDF different from a probability mass function (PMF)?

A PDF is used to describe the probability distribution of a continuous random variable, while a PMF is used for discrete random variables. A PDF gives the probability density at a specific point, while a PMF gives the probability of a specific outcome occurring.

3. How do you calculate the area under a PDF curve?

The area under a PDF curve represents the probability of a random variable falling within a specific range of values. To calculate the area, you can use integration to find the definite integral of the PDF function over the desired range.

4. Can a PDF have negative values?

No, a PDF cannot have negative values. The total area under the PDF curve must be equal to 1, and since probability cannot be negative, the values of a PDF must also be non-negative.

5. How is a PDF used in real-world applications?

PDFs are used in a variety of fields, including statistics, physics, and engineering, to model and analyze data. They are particularly useful for understanding the likelihood of different outcomes in complex systems, such as stock market fluctuations or weather patterns.