Probability of hitting a rotating disc

In summary, the smaller disk has two points that are on the same plane as the larger disk, and a line connecting the two points intersects the disk at a point. If a particle moves along the line, it will hit the other disk. The OP calculated the length of an arc connecting the two points, but got the wrong answer.
Moara
Homework Statement
There are two discks rotating with angular velocity w and with radius R and 2R. The distance from there centres is 4R. Find the probability of a particle, that was rotating on the board of the smaller disck, to shock with the bigger after it leaves de disck.
Relevant Equations
V=wr , P(E)=N(E)/U
There are two points of the smaller disck such that a line is tangent to the two discks and passes by that point. If the particle leaves of any point belongin to the arch that connects these two points, then it will hit the other disck. So I managed to calculate the value of this arch and divide it by 2π. But I got the wrong answer. Is this correct ?

Attachments

• 15652743478657201379945105609649.jpg
    15652743478657201379945105609649.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 111
Physics news on Phys.org
If your statement is: "it's the wrong answer", then I suppose your statement is correct.

If you don't post what you did, no further help is possible. Show your work ! In detail.

[edit] by the way, is this happening in the vertical plane ? Or did you just rotate the picture to annoy us ?

Last edited:
Moara said:
There are two points of the smaller disck such that a line is tangent to the two discks and passes by that point. If the particle leaves of any point belongin to the arch that connects these two points, then it will hit the other disck.
So far so good, but what value did you calculate for the arc length?

Likes Moara
BvU said:
If you statement is: "it's the wrong answer", then I suppose your statement is correct.

If you don't post what you did, no further help is possible. Show your work ! In detail.

[edit] by the way, is this happening in the vertical plane ? Or did you just rotate the picture to annoy us ?
Well,
BvU said:
If you statement is: "it's the wrong answer", then I suppose your statement is correct.

The movement is in the horizontal plane, sorry about the image.

:smile: I understood that -- I was just being a bit ironic.

Now: both Haru and I are asking you to show your work -- can you do that ?

Found my mathematical error while writing my attempt, thank you

Likes BvU
Often happens -- yet another reason we require posting of a solution attempt :smile:

Just so you know we take your problems seriously :biggrin:

1565356294574.png

( I did however use the wrong sign for ##\omega## :wink: )

I would like to make a further suggestion to the OP. Make a drawing of the system by hand using a compass and ruled straightedge. You can easily look for similar triangles, equal angles and trigonometric relations which are key to solving this problem and quickly check your answer for sanity. Computer drawing programs are nice but the effort in learning to use them can be time consuming and distract from the problem at hand.

Likes BvU

What is the probability of hitting a rotating disc?

The probability of hitting a rotating disc depends on various factors such as the size and speed of the disc, the distance from which it is being thrown, and the accuracy of the thrower. It is a complex mathematical calculation that cannot be accurately determined without specific information about all the variables involved.

How can the probability of hitting a rotating disc be increased?

The probability of hitting a rotating disc can be increased by improving the accuracy of the thrower, increasing the size or speed of the disc, or reducing the distance from which it is being thrown. Other factors such as wind speed and direction, surface texture of the disc, and the thrower's physical condition can also play a role in increasing the probability of hitting the disc.

Can the probability of hitting a rotating disc be 100%?

No, the probability of hitting a rotating disc can never be 100%. This is because there will always be some level of uncertainty and variability in the factors that affect the probability, making it impossible to guarantee a perfect hit every time.

How does the probability of hitting a rotating disc change with different throwing techniques?

The probability of hitting a rotating disc can vary depending on the throwing technique used. For example, a disc thrown with a backhand technique may have a different probability of being hit compared to one thrown with a forehand technique. It is important to consider the specific mechanics and variables of each throwing technique when calculating the probability of hitting the disc.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the probability of hitting a rotating disc?

Understanding the probability of hitting a rotating disc can have various real-world applications, such as in sports like disc golf or frisbee, where players need to accurately hit a target. It can also be useful in engineering and design, for example, when designing throwing machines or studying the aerodynamics of rotating objects.