Probably getting a C or C+ in Calc 1. Retake?

In summary: Basically I for the first two months of the semester I was working a lot. (32+ hours per week.) I was also taking Chem 1 and a lab. My first test I got a 92, second test I got a 81. Overall, I felt pretty good at that point.This experience isn't a basis for questioning whether you're cut out for chem-e, it's a basis for changing how many hours you work and/or how many units you take. For example, my school's catalog has guidelines that say that if you're working more than 30 hours a week, the maximum number of units you should take is 1-3. If you're taking 8 units of hard math/science courses while working
Sentience
My major is chemical engineering. (I feel more like just a wannabe at this point, not an actual chemE student.) I'm really discouraged right now as I am questioning my suitability for the major/field.

Basically I for the first two months of the semester I was working a lot. (32+ hours per week.) I was also taking Chem 1 and a lab. My first test I got a 92, second test I got a 81. Overall, I felt pretty good at that point.

Problem is, I really underestimated Chem and for the first few weeks only focused on Calc. I took my first Chem test and did poorly. (Flunked it, but the prof let the class redo it for half credit since his tests are tough lol. Got a C+ second time around).

After realizing this chemistry class was no joke, I was freaking out trying to get caught up and study hard for my second test. Well, I kinda neglected my third calc test. My math teacher let us drop our lowest score. I only did some of the homework from that "section" and then integrals came. I understand the basics of it, but some of the problems using the substitution rule were tough.

On the final we also had to do problems where instead of using the fundamental theorem to evaluate an indefinite integral, we had to do it using a Riemannian series. (While he did cover them in class, they weren't in the text and they were difficult. I didn't get much practice in before the final.)

Sorry for the rambling but I could really use some advice and/or some encouragement. I'm so #@%^ing pissed at myself right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sentience said:
I'm really discouraged right now as I am questioning my suitability for the major/field.

Basically I for the first two months of the semester I was working a lot. (32+ hours per week.)

This experience isn't a basis for questioning whether you're cut out for chem-e, it's a basis for changing how many hours you work and/or how many units you take. For example, my school's catalog has guidelines that say that if you're working more than 30 hours a week, the maximum number of units you should take is 1-3. If you're taking 8 units of hard math/science courses while working 32+ hours a week, then of course you're going to do badly.

For you guys who are engineers or engineering majors can I move on to Calc 2 (with some review) or should I retake Calc 1 just to be safe?

I wouldn't retake the course. Just try harder in Clac2. And stop working so much!

Sentience said:
For you guys who are engineers or engineering majors can I move on to Calc 2 (with some review) or should I retake Calc 1 just to be safe?

I'd say that your decision to retake should hinge on your comfort with the content from Calc I, primarily integrals. Are you reasonably well-versed in basic integration, substitution methods, and trigonometry (which very well might've been covered extensively in Calc I)? If not, you might struggle with advanced integration techniques, which make up a large part of the average Calc II syllabus. It's a question you need to ask yourself.

Yeah, that was a mistake. Someone in my dept. retired out of the blue and I had to pick up the slack. I'm now only working 24 hrs. per week. I'm still hesitant about going full time in school (especially with math/science/engineering courses) but I'm pretty sure I can comfortably handle 9 or 10 credits.

As far as integrals go, I'm fine with basic problems(such as polynomial functions). Some of the more advanced substitution problems gave me trouble though. (As well as Rieman series.) I can compute antiderivatives for the basic functions such as trig functions, base e, etc.

Last edited:
Sentience said:
As far as integrals go, I'm fine with basic problems(such as polynomial functions). Some of the more advanced substitution problems gave me trouble though. (As well as Rieman series.) I can compute antiderivatives for the basic functions such as trig functions, base e, etc.

You'll probably be fine in Calc II, then. Just practice your substitution, because it is everywhere.

Is it mostly integrals where Calc 2 picks up? I'm fine with limit problems and derivative problems. Are there linearization or related rates problems? Or perhaps Riemannian series problems?

As far as my Calculus II class went, we started with inverse functions, moved to advanced limits and L'Hôpital's rule, covered a bit more differentiation, then spent a lot of time on integration. There are several techniques of integration typically taught (integration by parts, trig integration, trig substitution, partial fraction decomposition), all of which often involve substitution. You'll also see improper integrals (integrals bounded by infinity or containing a discontinuity within the integrand) and, possibly, numerical methods of integration (which would involve Riemann sums).

After that, we spent some time on alternatives to the Cartesian coordinate systems (parametric and polar coordinates primarily) and dealt with analytic geometry, tangent lines, lengths, and areas in these systems. We finished the course with considerable coverage of sequences and series, building to Taylor series, with which we expanded functions via infinite sums.

That tends to be the typical Calc II syllabus, so like I said, comfort with Calc I is pretty important.

Do you have to work, or can you just attend school? If you have the option, I would quit the job.

I know how you feel Sentience. I sprained my wrist and could not write fast enough to complete my make-up exam for calculus in time...so my grade suffered because of it :( I don't think you need to retake calc I tho, just study over winter break and sharpen up your skills. All the best!

Due to some mistakes in my past, (I am 25, not your typical college student) financial aid can't really help me much right now. I'm at a community college right now, and if I can, I will get loans and quit when I transfer to a 4 year institution. As it stands right now though, I'm really scared of quitting my job. The job situation is so bleak right now I'm scared of leaving.

So for those who care, I actually ended up getting an 84 on the final, with an overall grade of a B in the course. I could cry right now I'm so happy.

That is very good to hear/read!

Sentience said:
Due to some mistakes in my past, (I am 25, not your typical college student) financial aid can't really help me much right now. I'm at a community college right now, and if I can, I will get loans and quit when I transfer to a 4 year institution. As it stands right now though, I'm really scared of quitting my job. The job situation is so bleak right now I'm scared of leaving.

If you need money, I wouldn't quit either. Working and going to school isn't something everyone can do and it takes a lot of work. I am a little older than you and having a job isn't optional. Sounds like you are in the same boat. It's definitely doable.

I just finished a semester working 40 hours and 16 credit hours. I was three places for that entire semester - work, school, or my desk..well sometimes the library too. It wasn't fun at all.

Nice work on your final and letter grade.

Congrats on pulling the B!

Riemann sums aren't that hard. (I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I just took Calc I and didn't understand when my [not good] professor taught them. What book do you have? I'd recommend picking up a used book for <$5 from amazon to supplement. My class uses Stewart, and while not the best, it did explain Riemann sums fairly clearly.

Obviously since you got a B you're not going to retake the course, but I would still spend at least a few hours teaching yourself integration over break. Khanacademy has good videos. You should be fine in Calc II.

My calculus 2 curriculum dealt a lot with integrals. We did techniques of integration, like integration by parts and trig subs/integrals, and approximation methods which were like more complicated Riemann sums. Then we did applications, like how to find the volume of some function or another rotated around either the x or the y axis. Then we did sequences and series, like Taylor and Mclauren series. Then we did calculus in parametric equations/polar coordinates, which dealt a lot with integration.

My advice to you is to practice your integration. It will really hurt you if you're not very good at integration. You won't need to remember Riemann sums ever again, because you'll have brand new formulas like Simpson's rule to take its place, which give a pretty good approximation of hard integrals. I will say this though: I wound up in a B in calculus 1, and it was a five-week course. Calculus 2 was a pain, but I wound up with an A in it, and this is from someone who'd never seen a series before, never done anything in polar coordinates, and whose trig was a joke. You can do it.

1. Will retaking Calc 1 affect my overall GPA?

Retaking Calc 1 will replace your previous grade with the new one. This will impact your GPA, so it's important to consider whether the potential improvement in your grade is worth the potential impact on your GPA.

2. Is it worth retaking Calc 1 for a C or C+?

This depends on your personal goals and priorities. If you need a higher grade in Calc 1 for your major or to fulfill a prerequisite, then it may be worth retaking. If not, you may want to focus on doing well in your other courses.

3. Can I retake Calc 1 if I already passed it?

Yes, you can retake Calc 1 even if you already passed it. However, some universities may have restrictions on how many times you can retake a course.

4. How can I prepare to retake Calc 1?

Reviewing your notes and previous assignments, attending tutoring or review sessions, and practicing with additional problems can all help you prepare for retaking Calc 1. It's also important to identify and address any weaknesses you had in the course.

5. Will retaking Calc 1 improve my understanding of the material?

Retaking a course can give you the opportunity to review and solidify your understanding of the material. However, it ultimately depends on how much effort and dedication you put into the course. If you are retaking Calc 1, it's important to actively engage with the material and seek help when needed to improve your understanding.