Problem with the orientation of a surface

In summary, the normal vector of the surface σ=<-2x;-2y;1> has a positive z component or a negative z component, whichever yields an acute angle with the unit vector parallel to the z axis, \mathbf{e}_z = (0,0,1).
Amaelle
Homework Statement
circuitation and surface orientation
Relevant Equations
circuitation and surface orientation
Greetings All, I have confusion to establish the orientation of a surface so please bear with me

1644507305219.png
σ

Those two surfaces are of course intersecting in z=10 on a circle .
if I take the surface σ and I want it to be oriented so that it forms an acute angle with the axe Z , the orientation of the outer border (the circle at z=10 because if I imagine a little turtle moving the border the surface should remain at it right ) will be negative? am´I correct?

in the other hand if I take the surface τ and want it to be oriented so that it forms an acute angle with the axe Z , the orientation of the outer border will be positive.

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Amaelle said:
Those two surfaces are of course intersecting in z=10 on a circle .
This is not true. K is the disk in the plane of radius 1, centered at (0, 0). ##\sigma## is a map from this disk to ##\mathbb R^3## that represents a cup-shaped surface whose perimeter is at a height of 4, and whose center is at (0, 0, 3). ##\tau## is a portion of a sphere whose radius is ##\sqrt{17}## and whose center is at the origin.

The two surfaces intersect in a circle of radius 1, centered at (0, 0, 4).

I don't understand what you are saying that you want ##\sigma## and ##\tau## oriented so that they make acute angles with the z axis (note spelling - an axe is a tool for chopping wood).

• Haha
Likes Delta2
Yes it is axis or axle not axe e hehe.

• Haha
Likes Amaelle
Mark44 said:
This is not true. K is the disk in the plane of radius 1, centered at (0, 0). ##\sigma## is a map from this disk to ##\mathbb R^3## that represents a cup-shaped surface whose perimeter is at a height of 4, and whose center is at (0, 0, 3). ##\tau## is a portion of a sphere whose radius is ##\sqrt{17}## and whose center is at the origin.

The two surfaces intersect in a circle of radius 1, centered at (0, 0, 4).

I don't understand what you are saying that you want ##\sigma## and ##\tau## oriented so that they make acute angles with the z axis (note spelling - an axe is a tool for chopping wood).

Thank you
if I take the paraboloid σ and I want it to be orientated in a way it forms an acute angle with the Z axis, and imagine I have a vector field F(x,y,z) , and I want to compute the circuitation of F around the upper limit by keeping the orientation (an acute angle with the Z axis) it sould be equal to =-∫CURL(F(x,y,z)dA (A is the the circle of intersection)

Amaelle said:
if I take the surface σ and I want it to be oriented so that it forms an acute angle with the axe Z ,
What does this have to do with Quiz 4? It seems that there is some information missing in your post. For example, there is no mention of how the vector field (campo vettoriale) F is defined, other than it maps R3 to R3.

What is the full statement of this problem?

Likes Amaelle
Mark44 said:
What does this have to do with Quiz 4? It seems that there is some information missing in your post. For example, there is no mention of how the vector field (campo vettoriale) F is defined, other than it maps R3 to R3.

What is the full statement of this problem?
Here is it and thank you so much!
1644598813584.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The normal [itex]\mathbf{n}[/itex] of [itex]\sigma[/itex] either has positive [itex]z[/itex] component or negative [itex]z[/itex] component. Which of those will yield an acute angle ([itex]\mathbf{n} \cdot \mathbf{e}_z > 0[/itex]) with the unit vector parallel to the [itex]z[/itex] axis, [itex]\mathbf{e}_z = (0,0,1)[/itex]?

Likes Amaelle
pasmith said:
The normal [itex]\mathbf{n}[/itex] of [itex]\sigma[/itex] either has positive [itex]z[/itex] component or negative [itex]z[/itex] component. Which of those will yield an acute angle ([itex]\mathbf{n} \cdot \mathbf{e}_z > 0[/itex]) with the unit vector parallel to the [itex]z[/itex] axis, [itex]\mathbf{e}_z = (0,0,1)[/itex]?
both of them, if i´m not wrong

pasmith said:

Amaelle said:
both of them, if i´m not wrong
No, not true. The dot product has an alternate definition: ##\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{v} = |\mathbf{u}||\mathbf{v}|\cos(\theta)##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the two vectors. If the dot product is negative, then the angle is greater than 90 degrees.

Mark44 said:
No, not true. The dot product has an alternate definition: ##\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{v} = |\mathbf{u}||\mathbf{v}|\cos(\theta)##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the two vectors. If the dot product is negative, then the angle is greater than 90 degrees.

Sorry, I think I´m lost here
  • normal vector of the surface σ=<-2x;-2y;1>
  • vector of the surface τ
< x/sqrt(17-x^2-y^2); y/sqrt(17-x^2-y^2; 1>
those two have positive orientation regarding the axis Z

1. What is the problem with the orientation of a surface?

The problem with the orientation of a surface refers to the direction in which the surface is facing or pointing. It can affect how light, heat, and other physical properties interact with the surface.

2. How can the orientation of a surface impact its performance?

The orientation of a surface can impact its performance in various ways. For example, a surface that is facing the sun directly may absorb more heat and become hotter than a surface that is facing away from the sun. This can affect the surface's ability to insulate or reflect heat.

3. What factors can influence the orientation of a surface?

The orientation of a surface can be influenced by factors such as the location and position of the surface, the angle of the sun or other light sources, and the surrounding environment. Man-made structures or objects can also impact the orientation of a surface.

4. How can the problem with the orientation of a surface be solved?

The problem with the orientation of a surface can be solved by adjusting the surface's position or angle, using materials or coatings that can better withstand different orientations, or by utilizing technology such as solar tracking systems to optimize the surface's orientation for maximum performance.

5. What are some common applications where the orientation of a surface is important?

The orientation of a surface is important in many applications, such as solar panels, building design for energy efficiency, agriculture and farming, and photography or videography. It can also be a consideration in industries where surfaces need to be protected from certain elements or where light reflection or absorption is crucial for product performance.