Product of Quotient Groups Isomorphism

In summary, the poster is seeking help with a group theory problem and has attempted to use the natural epimorphism and a function from G to (G/K1) x (G/K2) x ... x (G/Kn). However, they have not been able to find a solution using these techniques and are looking for hints to solve the problem. There is also some confusion about homeomorphisms and topology in the discussion, but it is not relevant to the group theory problem. The poster may need to use the second isomorphism theorem or other theorems about products to solve the problem.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

I have attached the problem below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use the natural epimorphism from G x G x ... x G to (G x G x ... x G)/(K1 x K2 x ... x Kn), but I do not believe that this is an injective function. Then I tried to use a function f from G to (G/K1) x (G/K2) x ... x (G/Kn) defined by f(g) = (k1g, k2g, ..., kng) for all g in G. I found that this function was injective (and a homomorphism) but not surjective. I've also been trying to find a way to use the first isomorphism theorem, but with no luck. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• herstein_problem.jpg
    herstein_problem.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
How can something be a homeomorphism and not be subjective? It was my understanding that a homeomorphism is a bi-continuous function. That is, it is a continuous function with a continuous inverse. If its invertible then it is both surjective and injective (both the function and its inverse). Was that a typo?

As for the problem I think (G/K1) x (G/K2) x ... x (G/Kn) defined by f(g) = (k1g, k2g, ..., kng) for all g in G is a good start. But what theorems (if any) have you developed so far in this context?

stephenkeiths said:
How can something be a homeomorphism and not be subjective? It was my understanding that a homeomorphism is a bi-continuous function. That is, it is a continuous function with a continuous inverse. If its invertible then it is both surjective and injective (both the function and its inverse). Was that a typo?

What do homeomorphisms and topology have to do with this? :confused:
This is a group theory question, not topology. You do know what a homomorphism is, right? If not, then maybe you should not answer questions like this.

tylerc1991 said:

Homework Statement

I have attached the problem below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use the natural epimorphism from G x G x ... x G to (G x G x ... x G)/(K1 x K2 x ... x Kn), but I do not believe that this is an injective function. Then I tried to use a function f from G to (G/K1) x (G/K2) x ... x (G/Kn) defined by f(g) = (k1g, k2g, ..., kng) for all g in G. I found that this function was injective (and a homomorphism) but not surjective. I've also been trying to find a way to use the first isomorphism theorem, but with no luck. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

I think there is something missing in the problem. If you take [itex]K_1=K_2=\{e\}[/itex], then this gives [itex]G\sim G\times G[/itex]. This is surely not true in general.

i misread homo as homeo. That confused me as much as my post confused you. And questioning whether or not I know a homomorphism is a function f:(G1,*)->(G2,~) such that f(g1*g2)=f(g1)~f(g2) for any g1,g2 in G1 hardly seems helpful.

And its my intuition that you'll have to use the 2nd isomorphism theorem also (or some theorem about products). Do you have any more specific theorems about products?

Related to Product of Quotient Groups Isomorphism

1. What is a product of quotient groups?

A product of quotient groups is a mathematical operation that combines two or more quotient groups to form a new group. It is denoted by the Cartesian product symbol (∏) and is similar to the product of sets.

2. How is the product of quotient groups different from the direct product of groups?

The product of quotient groups is different from the direct product of groups because it takes into account the cosets of the subgroups. In the direct product, the elements are ordered pairs, while in the product of quotient groups, the elements are cosets.

3. When are two product of quotient groups isomorphic?

Two product of quotient groups are isomorphic if they have the same number of factors, the same factor groups, and the same normal subgroups. This means that their structures are essentially the same, even though the individual elements may be different.

4. How do you prove that two product of quotient groups are isomorphic?

To prove that two product of quotient groups are isomorphic, you must show that there exists a bijective homomorphism between the two groups. This can be done by constructing a mapping from one group to the other and proving that it is both one-to-one and onto, and that it preserves the group operation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the product of quotient groups?

The product of quotient groups has many applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and cryptography. For example, it is used in computer algorithms to efficiently solve problems involving large groups, and in physics to study the symmetries of physical systems. In cryptography, it is used to secure data and protect sensitive information.