Product of two sequences of functions [uniform convergence]

In summary, the question is to prove that a series of functions converges uniformly, given certain conditions on the partial sums and the convergence of another series. The hint given is to use partial summation and the Cauchy-criterion for uniform convergence. By bounding the partial sums of one of the functions and using the telescoping property of the other function, the proof can be completed.
timon

Homework Statement

This is a homework question for a introductory course in analysis. given that
a) the partial sums of [itex]f_n[/itex] are uniformly bounded,

b) [itex] g_1 \geq g_2 \geq ... \geq 0, [/itex]

c) [itex] g_n \rightarrow 0 [/itex] uniformly,

prove that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_n g_n [/itex] converges uniformly (the whole adventure takes place on some interval E in R).

Homework Equations

Suppose [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are two sequences. Then,

[itex] \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} x_jy_j = s_ny_{n+1} - s_my_{m+1} + \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} s_j(y_j - y_{j+1}). [/itex]

This is called partial summation, and is given as a hint with the exercise.

The Attempt at a Solution

Inspired by the Cauchy-criterion for uniform convergence of series of functions, I did the following.

[itex] | \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} f_n g_n | = | (\sum_{i=1}^{n}) f_i g_{n+1} - (\sum_{i=1}^{m} f_i) g_{m+1} + \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} (\sum_{i=1}^{j} f_i) (g_j - g_{j_1} ) | [/itex]

[itex] \leq |g_{n+1} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f_i| + |g_{m+1} \sum_1^m f_i | + | \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} (\sum_{i=1}^{j} f_i) (g_j - g_{j_1} ) |[/itex]
(the last step owing to the subadditivity of the modulus).
The first two terms can be made small since the partial sums of [itex]f[/itex] are bounded and g goes to zero, leaving the third term. I'm having trouble doing anything interesting with that though. Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can bound [itex]\sum{f_j}[/itex] by L. This leaves you with

[tex]L\sum{g_j-g_{j+1}}[/tex]

But look at this sum carefully. Isn't that a telescoping sum??

thanks a lot! I tried to do the same thing but couldn't get [itex] g_i - g_{i+1} [/itex] to converge. I feel somewhat silly now!

1. What is the definition of uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence in which the limit of a sequence of functions approaches its limit at the same rate for all points in the domain. In other words, the convergence is independent of the specific point in the domain, unlike pointwise convergence.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence only requires the individual functions to converge at each specific point, while uniform convergence requires the convergence to hold for all points in the domain simultaneously. This ensures that the rate of convergence is consistent across the entire domain.

3. Can a product of two sequences of functions converge uniformly if each individual sequence does not?

No, if either sequence does not converge uniformly, then the product of the two sequences will also not converge uniformly. In order for the product to converge uniformly, both sequences must converge uniformly.

4. How can uniform convergence be proven for a product of two sequences of functions?

In order to prove uniform convergence, the Cauchy criterion or the Weierstrass M-test can be used. These tests involve showing that the sequence of partial sums of the product converges uniformly, or that the product is bounded by a convergent series, respectively.

5. What are some practical applications of uniform convergence for products of sequences of functions?

Uniform convergence is commonly used in analysis and calculus to prove the convergence of infinite series. It is also useful in numerical analysis for approximating functions and in physics for modeling physical systems that involve continuous functions.