Projectile Motion — How far from the gun does the bullet land?

In summary: MOIn summary, the bullet fired from a gun on the ground has a velocity v. The x-component of the velocity is 8.4 ms-1 and the y-component of the velocity is 9.2 ms-1. x is the horizontal axis and y is the vertical axis. The distance in m between the gun and the point where the bullet hits the ground is Acceleration due to gravity is 9.8ms-2. Assuming there is no air resistance during the bullet's flight.
Tinkylo
Homework Statement
The bullet fired from a gun on the ground has a velocity v. The x-component of the velocity is 8.4 ms-1 and the y-component of the velocity is 9.2 ms-1. x is the horizontal axis and y is the vertical axis. What is the distance in m between the gun and the point where the bullet hits the ground? Acceleration due to gravity is 9.8ms-2. Assuming there is no air resistance during the bullet's flight.
Relevant Equations
Not sure
I don't know how to link the x-component and y-component together.

Attachments

• 螢幕截圖 2020-02-21 下午3.52.14.png
    螢幕截圖 2020-02-21 下午3.52.14.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 170
Physics news on Phys.org
Tinkylo said:
Distance, start velocity, final velocity, time, acceleration. For which does the same value apply to both coordinates?

Tinkylo said:
As there is no air resistance, the vertical and horizontal components of velocity are not linked in the problem.Consider the problem as independent horizontal and vertical motions.

Tinkylo said:
Relevant Equations:: Not sure

Don't link those, they are giving you the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity in order to facilitate the problem.
Hits:
Purely vertical movement: decelerated while moving up / stop / accelerated while falling down.
Purely horizontal movement: non-accelerated and lasting as much as the up-down vertical movement.

Lnewqban said:
Don't link those
It's not clear what @Tinkylo means by linking them. My interpretation is finding something that links the horizontal and vertical equations. See my hint in post #2.

Likes hutchphd
Tinkylo said:
Homework Statement:: The bullet fired from a gun on the ground has a velocity v. The x-component of the velocity is 8.4 ms-1 and the y-component of the velocity is 9.2 ms-1. x is the horizontal axis and y is the vertical axis. What is the distance in m between the gun and the point where the bullet hits the ground? Acceleration due to gravity is 9.8ms-2. Assuming there is no air resistance during the bullet's flight.
Relevant Equations:: Not sure

You can work it out from first principles from the equations for x and y as a function of t (time). This involves finding the value of t when y = 0 and then using that value of t in the equation for x. Or you can use the relationship between range, velocity and launch angle that you may have been given: ##R = \frac{v_0^2 \sin{2\theta}}{g}##. If you use this relationship, you will have to find ##v_0## and the launch angle. Which method do you wish to use?

AM

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is initially projected or thrown into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity.

2. How does the initial velocity of the bullet affect its distance from the gun?

The initial velocity of the bullet is one of the key factors that determines the distance it will travel. The higher the initial velocity, the farther the bullet will land from the gun.

3. Does the angle of projection also affect the distance of the bullet?

Yes, the angle of projection, or the angle at which the bullet is fired, also plays a role in determining the distance it will travel. A higher angle will result in a longer distance, while a lower angle will result in a shorter distance.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of the bullet?

Air resistance, or drag, can slow down the bullet and change its trajectory. However, at high velocities, the effect of air resistance is minimal and can be ignored in most cases.

5. Is the distance the bullet travels affected by the weight of the bullet?

Yes, the weight of the bullet can also impact the distance it travels. A heavier bullet will typically travel a shorter distance due to the increased force of gravity acting on it.