Projectile motion on a hemisphere

In summary, if the ball is never to hit the rock after it is kicked, it needs to have an initial speed of at least v_i+at.
Bread18

Homework Statement

A person standing on the top of a hemispherical rock of radius R kicks a ball (initially at rest on the top of the rock) to give it horizontal velocity [itex]v_i[/itex]
What must be it's minimum initial speed if the ball is never to hit the rock after it is kicked?

Homework Equations

[itex]v=v_i+at,\\ v^2=v_i ^2 + 2ar, \\ r=v_i t +\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to do this one as a parabola and a semicircle are 2 different shaped curves, a little nudge in the right direction would be helpful, thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bread18! :wink:
Bread18 said:
… a parabola and a semicircle are 2 different shaped curves, a little nudge in the right direction would be helpful, thanks guys.

Write out the two equations, and see where they intersect …

what do you get? :smile:

Hmm ok...
Well the eqn of the semicircle is [itex]y=\sqrt{R^2 - x^2}[/itex]

The eqn of motion is [itex]y = \frac{1}{2}at^2 \\ x = v_it \\ y = \frac{1}{2}a(\frac{x}{v_i})^2 \\ 2yv_i^2 = a x^2?[/itex]

Bread18 said:
[itex]2yv_i^2 = a x^2?[/itex]

= a(R2 - y2) ? :wink:

[itex]ay^2 + 2yv_i^2 - aR^2 = 0 \\ 4v_i^4 +4a^2R^2 < 0 \\ v_i^4 < -a^2R^2[/itex]

and that's not right...

Last edited:
Bread18 said:
[itex]ay^2 + 2yv_i^2 - aR^2 = 0[/itex]

after that, you've lost me :redface:

Solve the quadratic, they don't touch so the discriminate needs to be < 0 (typo in the other post, I'll fix it)

Last edited:
ah, sorry, i'd forgotten what the question asked for! :redface:
Bread18 said:
What must be it's minimum initial speed if the ball is never to hit the rock after it is kicked?

yes, that's fine :smile:
Bread18 said:
[itex]ay^2 + 2yv_i^2 - aR^2 = 0 \\ 4v_i^4 +4a^2R^2 < 0 \\ v_i^4 < -a^2R^2[/itex]

remember, your "a" was negative! :wink:

Yes but it's a^2, so it cancels out the negative, leaving me with -g^2R^2?

hmm … you're right! :redface:

ok, let's go back and check your original equations …
Bread18 said:
Well the eqn of the semicircle is [itex]y=\sqrt{R^2 - x^2}[/itex]

The eqn of motion is [itex]y = \frac{1}{2}at^2 \\ x = v_it \\ y = \frac{1}{2}a(\frac{x}{v_i})^2 \\ 2yv_i^2 = a x^2?[/itex]

ah! should be y = R + 1/2 at2 ! :smile:

(no wonder it couldn't avoid hitting the circle! :biggrin:)

tiny-tim said:
hmm … you're right! :redface:

ok, let's go back and check your original equations …

ah! should be y = R + 1/2 at2 ! :smile:

(no wonder it couldn't avoid hitting the circle! :biggrin:)

Haha well spotted :smile:

So, now with that fix, I get [itex]2v_i^2(y-R)=ax^2 \\ 2v_i^2(y-R)=a(R^2 - y^2) \\ 2v_i^2 = -a(R+y) \\ v_i^2 = \frac{g}{2}(R+y)[/itex]

looks good! :smile:

(but on my recent performance, i could be missing something! :blushing: :rolleyes:)

tiny-tim said:
looks good! :smile:

(but on my recent performance, i could be missing something! :blushing: :rolleyes:)
Haha yeah, we've all been missing simple things..:rolleyes:
I don't see how this ties in with it not hitting the semi circle though.

because …
Bread18 said:
[itex]v_i^2 = \frac{g}{2}(R+y)[/itex]

gives you the y-coordinate where it hits the circle

for example, if v = 0, the ball drops straight down, and hits the circle at y = -R !

ok, now what happens to y as you increase v ? :wink:

(btw, the other solution, y = R for any value of v was eliminated from the equation when you divided it by (y - R) :wink:)

So I want y = 0?

in a moment, I'm going out for an hour or so

draw yourself some diagrams of a parabola touching and cutting a circle, and see what happens as the parabola changes shape :wink:

(also, think how many times can a parabola touch and cut a circle?)

Ok, thanks for your help, I think I'm going to go to bed now (2am here). Hopefully When I wake up it'll all become obvious...

Related to Projectile motion on a hemisphere

1. What is projectile motion on a hemisphere?

Projectile motion on a hemisphere refers to the motion of an object launched at an angle on the surface of a curved hemisphere, such as a planet or a ball. It combines the horizontal and vertical components of motion, resulting in a curved path.

2. What factors affect projectile motion on a hemisphere?

The factors that affect projectile motion on a hemisphere include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the gravitational force, and the shape and size of the hemisphere.

3. How does gravity affect projectile motion on a hemisphere?

Gravity plays a crucial role in projectile motion on a hemisphere, as it constantly pulls the object towards the center of the hemisphere. This results in a curved trajectory instead of a straight line.

4. What is the equation for calculating projectile motion on a hemisphere?

The equation for calculating projectile motion on a hemisphere is y = xtanθ - (gx^2)/(2v^2cos^2θ), where y is the vertical displacement, x is the horizontal displacement, θ is the angle of launch, g is the gravitational force, and v is the initial velocity.

5. How is projectile motion on a hemisphere different from projectile motion on a flat surface?

Projectile motion on a hemisphere is different from projectile motion on a flat surface because it takes into account the curved nature of the surface and the constant pull of gravity towards the center. This results in a curved path instead of a parabolic path seen on a flat surface.