Projectile Motion Problem: Calculating Distance and Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the horizontal distance a steel ball bearing would travel when launched from a compressed spring at a 34.0° angle. The initial velocity and total time of motion are needed to calculate this distance. The participants also discuss using the equation of motion for the y-component and solving for time to find the correct answer.
jill2040
1. A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 27.0 g is on a short compressed spring. When aimed vertically and suddenly released, the spring sends the bearing to a height of 1.17 m. Calculate the horizontal distance the ball would travel if the same spring were aimed 34.0° from the horizontal.

2. I've tried the whole problem from every direction I can think of but I keep getting it wrong. Can anyone tell me step by step what I would need to do? I don't need answers, just directions with concepts.

3. I assume the first thing I need to do is find the initial velocity. I found what the final velocity would be if the bearing was dropped from 1.17 m to be -4.7887 m/s. I found that number no matter what[ equation I used. From there, I found the total time of motion to be .9772 s. I multiplied the t times the initial v times cos(34) and got 3.88 m but the homework program still told me I was wrong. I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you detail how you found your "total time of motion"?

I used t=v/g and doubled it to account for the bearing coming back down.

I think you'll want to calculate the time of flight for the case when the ball bearing is launched at an angle. Time of flight will vary with angle.

How would I go about that? I tried t=(4.7887 m/s * sin(34)/9.8 m/s^2 but that didn't seem to get me anywhere.

Go back to the general equation of motion for the y-component of the motion.

y = v*t - (1/2)gt^2

You have a velocity for the y-component, and the flight ends when y = 0. Solve for t.

Related to Projectile Motion Problem: Calculating Distance and Velocity

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and is often seen in everyday situations such as throwing a ball or shooting a projectile.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is projected, the mass of the object, and the presence of air resistance. These factors can impact the trajectory, range, and time of flight of the projectile.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes no air resistance and a level surface.

4. What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (v^2 * sin^2(θ)) / (2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula also assumes no air resistance and a level surface.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can significantly impact the motion of a projectile, as it acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and can slow it down. This can result in a shorter range and a shorter time of flight for the projectile. In some cases, air resistance can also cause the projectile to deviate from its expected trajectory.