Proof of a vectoral differentation identity by levi civita symbol

In summary, using the Levi-Civita symbol and tensor notations, the identity ∇x(ψv)=ψ(∇xv)-vx(∇ψ) can be proven by evaluating the derivative of ∇ x ψv using the product rule and the fact that ∇ψ is equal to the partial derivative of ψ with respect to each component.
advphys

Homework Statement

prove,
∇x(ψv)=ψ(∇xv)-vx(∇ψ)
using levi civita symbol and tensor notations

Homework Equations

εijkεimnjnδkmknδjm

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried for nth component

εnjk (d/dxjklm ψl vm

εknjεklm (d/dxj) ψl vm

using εijkεimnjnδkmknδjm

i got,

(d/dxjn vj - (d/dxjj vn

But, i can't go further. I think only one simple step is left to show it is equal to the right hand side of the given identity. But how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi advphys,

That identity is not applicable here. Why do you have two levi-civita symbols? And ψ is a scalar, not a vector.

(∇ x ψv)i = εijk(∂/∂xj)ψvk

Because i may not know any other identity. :D

I thought for (ψv)k term i may have one more levi civita symbol.

Just evaluate the derivative using the product rule, and remember that (∇ψ)i = ∂ψ/∂xi

advphys said:
I thought for (ψv)k term i may have one more levi civita symbol.

ψv is a vector with components ψvi, so the cross product ∇ x ψv is simply the vector with components εijk(∂/∂xj)(ψvk)

Oh, yes. Definitely.
Thanks a lot, i got that.

Last edited:

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol, denoted as ε, is a mathematical symbol used in vector calculus to represent the permutation of indices in a vector or tensor. It has a value of 1 if the indices are in ascending order, -1 if the indices are in descending order, and 0 if any two indices are equal.

2. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in vector differentiation?

In vector calculus, the Levi-Civita symbol is used to express the cross product of two vectors as a single vector, and also to simplify the calculation of vector derivatives. It allows for the representation of the derivative of a vector function with respect to a particular variable as a sum of cross products involving the Levi-Civita symbol.

3. What is the significance of proving a vector differentiation identity using the Levi-Civita symbol?

Proving a vector differentiation identity using the Levi-Civita symbol is important because it provides a more concise and elegant way of expressing vector derivatives. It also allows for a better understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts involved in vector calculus.

4. What are some practical applications of the vector differentiation identity by the Levi-Civita symbol?

The vector differentiation identity by the Levi-Civita symbol has numerous practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used in the calculation of angular momentum, torque, and rotation in mechanics, as well as in electromagnetism for calculating the curl of a vector field.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Levi-Civita symbol in vector differentiation?

One limitation of using the Levi-Civita symbol in vector differentiation is that it only applies to three-dimensional vector spaces. It also cannot be used for non-rectangular coordinate systems. Additionally, it may become tedious to use when dealing with higher-order derivatives or more complex vector functions.