Levi-Civita Symbol multiplied by itself

In summary, the task is to evaluate the expression \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ijk}, where \epsilon is the antisymmetric Levi-Civita symbol in 3D. Using the property of the delta function, the solution is found to be 6 or 3!. The notation is also corrected to properly denote the summation over j and k. Additionally, the swapping of indices on the delta function is allowed.
RolloJarvis

Homework Statement

evaluate [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex] where \epsilon is is the antisymetric levi-civita symbol in 3D

Homework Equations

determinant of deltas = product of levi-civita -> would take ages to write out.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ijk}=\delta_{kk}\delta_{ll}-\delta_{lk}\delta_{kl}=1-2\delta_{lk}[/tex]

But i have a feeling the answer is 3? (because of this)

263e9dccaced8adf5ba6d68403150f47.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, firstly clean your notation. It should be
[tex]
\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ijk}=\delta_{kk}\delta_{jj}-\delta_{jk}\delta_{jk}
[/tex]
And there is a summation over j and k.
So that gives
[tex]
\sum\limits_{j,k}\delta_{kk}\delta_{jj}-\delta_{jk}\delta_{jk} = 3.3-3 = 6 = 3!
[/tex]
Also 3! = 6, not 3.

Thanks a lot. I was in a rush and I am pretty stressed at the moment as its only a few days before exams, the [tex]\epsilon [\tex]was supposed to read [tex]\epsilon_{jlk}[\tex].

How is it okay to swap the order of indicies on the delta funtion as you have done: i.e. [tex]\delta_{ij} = \delta_{ji}[\tex]

Last edited:
ya, that's a property of the delta function.

again, thanks a lot

1. What is the Levi-Civita Symbol?

The Levi-Civita Symbol is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sign of a permutation. It is denoted by the Greek letter epsilon (ε) and is commonly used in vector calculus and differential geometry.

2. What does it mean to multiply the Levi-Civita Symbol by itself?

Multiplying the Levi-Civita Symbol by itself is equivalent to taking the square of its absolute value. This is because the symbol only takes on the values of -1, 0, or 1, and when squared, these values remain the same.

3. What is the purpose of using the Levi-Civita Symbol multiplied by itself?

The Levi-Civita Symbol multiplied by itself is often used in the cross product of two vectors. It helps to simplify the calculation and determine the direction of the resulting vector.

4. How is the Levi-Civita Symbol multiplied by itself calculated?

The calculation of the Levi-Civita Symbol multiplied by itself involves using the properties of permutations and the properties of the symbol itself. It is a common exercise in vector calculus and can be solved using the formula: ε² = det(I), where I is the identity matrix.

5. Can the Levi-Civita Symbol multiplied by itself ever be negative or zero?

No, the result of multiplying the Levi-Civita Symbol by itself will always be either 1 or 0. This is because the symbol follows a specific pattern of alternating signs and is only equal to 1 when the indices are in ascending order.