Proof of reduction of order

In summary: So in other words, you take the derivatives of y=vY1 and plug them into the given equation for w, and then use the first order equation to solve for y.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

The method of reduction can be used to solve non-homogeneous equations with non-constant coefficients given by y''+py'+qy=g
If Y1 is a known solution to the corresponding homogeneous differential equation, let

y = vY1, w = v'

Show that if w satisfies the linear first-order equation

Y1w' + (2Y1' + pY1)w = g
then y is a solution of the original differential equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to prove here, am I supposed to prove that w satisfies that equation and then take that y is a solution as a given, or am I supposed to take that w satisfies that equation, solve it then prove y is a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine for a moment you have an ordinary, second order, linear, homogeneous differential equation in Cauchy Euler form:

$$ax^2y'' + bxy' + cy = 0$$

This will be used to explain reduction order. In standard form, the equation takes the form:

$$y'' + \frac{b}{ax}y' + \frac{c}{ax^2}y = 0$$
$$y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0$$

The point ##x_0 = 0## turns out to be a regular singular point since ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## are not analytic at ##0##, but ##(x - x_0)p(x)## and ##(x - x_0)^2q(x)## are both analytic at ##0##. The solution may be undefined at ##0## as a result, so assume ##x \neq 0##. So for ##x > 0##, we seek solutions of the form ##y = x^r##.

Taking derivatives ##y'## and ##y''##, and plugging them back into the original differential equation, the indicial equation is obtained:

$$ar(r - 1) + br + c = 0$$

Suppose the indicial roots are equivalent, that is ##r_1 = r_2##. Then one solution of the Cauchy Euler equation takes the form:

$$y_1 = x^r$$

Where ##r_1 = r_2 = r##. In order to determine a second solution, employ reduction of order. So set:

$$y_2 = u(x)y_1$$

We must now determine ##u(x)## in order for ##y_2## to be a solution. The way you do this is by taking derivatives once more:

$$y_2 = u(x)y_1$$
$$y_2' = uy_1' + u'y_1$$
$$y_2'' = uy_1'' + 2u'y_1' + u''y_1$$

Subbing these derivatives back into the Cauchy Euler equation and doing some math will allow you to find ##y_2##.

The process of reduction order is the same for other equations. You start with one solution ##y_1## and determine a second solution ##y_2 = u(x)y_1## by finding a function ##u(x)## that makes ##y_2## a solution.

Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

The method of reduction can be used to solve non-homogeneous equations with non-constant coefficients given by y''+py'+qy=g
If Y1 is a known solution to the corresponding homogeneous differential equation, let

y = vY1, w = v'

Show that if w satisfies the linear first-order equation

Y1w' + (2Y1' + pY1)w = g
then y is a solution of the original differential equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to prove here, am I supposed to prove that w satisfies that equation and then take that y is a solution as a given, or am I supposed to take that w satisfies that equation, solve it then prove y is a solution?
What you are to do is take the first and second derivatives of y= vY1, insert them into the given second order equation, and show that this can be reduced to the correct first order equation for w.

1. What is "Proof of Reduction of Order" in science?

Proof of reduction of order is a mathematical technique used in scientific research to simplify complex systems or equations by reducing the number of variables involved.

2. How does "Proof of Reduction of Order" work?

The technique of proof of reduction of order involves rewriting a higher order differential equation as a system of lower order equations, which are easier to solve and understand.

3. What are the benefits of using "Proof of Reduction of Order" in scientific research?

By reducing the complexity of systems or equations, proof of reduction of order allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and relationships within a system. It also makes it easier to make predictions and draw conclusions from the data.

4. What are some common applications of "Proof of Reduction of Order" in science?

Proof of reduction of order is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry to simplify and solve complex systems or equations. It is also widely used in mathematical modeling and computer simulations.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Proof of Reduction of Order"?

While proof of reduction of order can be a valuable tool in scientific research, it is not always applicable or appropriate for every situation. It may also introduce some error or approximation into the final solution. Additionally, the process of reducing the order of an equation can be time-consuming and may require advanced mathematical skills.