Proof of subsequence convergence

In summary, subsequence convergence is a mathematical concept that occurs when a subset of a sequence approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the subset increases. It differs from sequence convergence in that it only requires a subset to converge, rather than the entire sequence. Studying subsequence convergence is important for analyzing sequences in detail and identifying patterns. The convergence of a subsequence is closely related to the convergence of the original sequence, and it has real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.
synkk
prove if ## a_{2k} \rightarrow l ## and ## a_{2k-1} \rightarrow l ## then ## a_n \rightarrow l ## where ## a_{2k} ## and ## a_{2k-1} ## are subsequences of ## a_n ##

my attempt:

since: ## a_{2k} \rightarrow l ## then ## \forall \epsilon > 0 ## ##\exists N_1 \in \mathbb{R}## s.t. ##2k > N_1 \Rightarrow |a_{2k} - l|< \epsilon##

also, since ## a_{2k-1} \rightarrow l ## then ## \forall \epsilon > 0 ## ##\exists N_2 \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. ## 2k -1 > N_2 \Rightarrow |a_{2k-1} - l | < \epsilon ##

from the above we have ## k > \dfrac{N_1}{2} ## and ## k > \dfrac{N_2 + 1}{2} ## then let ## N = max \{ \dfrac{N_1}{2}, \dfrac{N_2 + 1}{2} \} ## then for ## n >N ## ## |a_n - l | < \epsilon ##

does this proof make sense, if not where could I improve?

Physics news on Phys.org
synkk said:
prove if ## a_{2k} \rightarrow l ## and ## a_{2k-1} \rightarrow l ## then ## a_n \rightarrow l ## where ## a_{2k} ## and ## a_{2k-1} ## are subsequences of ## a_n ##

my attempt:

since: ## a_{2k} \rightarrow l ## then ## \forall \epsilon > 0 ## ##\exists N_1 \in \mathbb{R}## s.t. ##2k > N_1 \Rightarrow |a_{2k} - l|< \epsilon##

also, since ## a_{2k-1} \rightarrow l ## then ## \forall \epsilon > 0 ## ##\exists N_2 \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. ## 2k -1 > N_2 \Rightarrow |a_{2k-1} - l | < \epsilon ##

from the above we have ## k > \dfrac{N_1}{2} ## and ## k > \dfrac{N_2 + 1}{2} ## then let ## N = max \{ \dfrac{N_1}{2}, \dfrac{N_2 + 1}{2} \} ## then for ## n >N ## ## |a_n - l | < \epsilon ##

does this proof make sense, if not where could I improve?

Your proof looks good. Personally, I prefer to begin such a proof with "Suppose ##\epsilon > 0##" and then dispense with the ##\forall## statements by just using that ##\epsilon## in the argument.

LCKurtz said:
Your proof looks good. Personally, I prefer to begin such a proof with "Suppose ##\epsilon > 0##" and then dispense with the ##\forall## statements by just using that ##\epsilon## in the argument.

thanks,

in my book they have done a different method: http://gyazo.com/6043e5a4f42915dac0f29b629c56f14c

going by their method wouldn't my method be incorrect and I could simply say let N be the maximum of N_1 and N_2?

synkk said:
thanks,

in my book they have done a different method: http://gyazo.com/6043e5a4f42915dac0f29b629c56f14c

going by their method wouldn't my method be incorrect and I could simply say let N be the maximum of N_1 and N_2?

I think your proof is OK as it is. You have that if either ##2k## or ##2k-1## is greater than ##N## then ##a_{2k}## or ##a_{2k-1}## is within ##\epsilon## of the limit. If ##n>N## it fits one of those two cases.

1. What is the definition of subsequence convergence?

Subsequence convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of a sequence of numbers in a larger sequence. It occurs when a subsequence of a given sequence approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the subsequence increases.

2. How is subsequence convergence different from sequence convergence?

Unlike sequence convergence, which requires the entire sequence to approach a specific value, subsequence convergence only requires a subset of the sequence to approach a specific value. This means that a sequence can have multiple subsequences that converge to different values.

3. What is the importance of studying subsequence convergence?

Studying subsequence convergence is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to analyze the behavior of a sequence in more detail. It also provides a way to identify patterns and relationships within a sequence that may not be apparent when looking at the entire sequence.

4. How is the convergence of a subsequence related to the convergence of the original sequence?

The convergence of a subsequence is closely related to the convergence of the original sequence. If a sequence converges, then all of its subsequences will also converge. However, the converse is not necessarily true, as a sequence can have multiple convergent subsequences without converging itself.

5. What are some real-life applications of subsequence convergence?

Subsequence convergence has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of systems that exhibit recurring patterns, such as the stock market or weather patterns. It is also used in data analysis and signal processing to identify trends and patterns in large datasets.