Proof w/ natural log and Riemann Sum

In summary, Problem states:-Use mathematical induction to prove that for x\geq0 and any positive integer n.-Use part (A) to show that e>2.7.-Use part (A) to show that e>1+x+(1/2)x2+...+(1/k!)xk for any positive integer k.
Xcron
Problem states:

(A) Use mathematical induction to prove that for [tex]x\geq0[/tex] and any positive integer [tex]n[/tex].
[tex]e^x\geq1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+...+\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

(B) Use part (A) to show that [tex]e>2.7[/tex].
(C) Use part (A) to show that
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^x}{x^k} = \infty[/tex]
for any positive integer [tex]k[/tex].

I thought that I could easily show that e to the x power was greater than 1 and if I could show that it was greater than 1 plus the Riemann sum:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex] then I would have my proof...

Physics news on Phys.org
Base case x = 0 then the LHS becomes [itex]e^0 = 1[/itex] and the RHS becomes [itex]1 + 0 + ... + 0 [/itex]. So the inequality holds. For x = k then you have [tex]e^k \geq 1 + k + \frac {k^2}{2} + ... + \frac {k^n}{n!}[/tex]. Now you do x = k+1 and you have [tex]e^k e = e^{k+1} \geq e + ek + e \frac {k^2}{2} + ... + \frac {ek^n}{n!}[/tex]. Clearly [tex]e>1,\ ek> k,\ e\frac {k^2}{2} > \frac {(k+1)^2}{2}[/tex] and so on. Therefore

[tex]e^{k+1} \geq 1 + (k+1) + \frac {(k+1)^2}{2} + ... + \frac {(k+1)^n}{n!}[/tex]

Last edited:
Corneo said:
Base case x = 0 then the LHS becomes [itex]e^0 = 1[/itex] and the RHS becomes [itex]1 + 0 + ... + 0 [/itex].

No! x is a real variable so you can't do induction on x! The "induction variable" is n. The base case is for n=0. Prove that for x>= 0, ex>= 1 (which is easy: ex is an increasing function.)

Now, assume that ex>= 1+ x+ (1/2)x2+ ...+ (1/k!)xk for some k. You need to prove that ex>= 1+ x+ (1/2)x2+ ...+ (1/k!)xk+ (1/(k+1)!)xk+1.

What happens if you assume that is not true, that ex< 1+ x+ (1/2)x2+ ...+ (1/k!)xk+ (1/(k+1)!)xk+1 and differentiate both sides?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
What happens if you assume that is not true, that ex< 1+ x+ (1/2)x2+ ...+ (1/k!)xk+ (1/(k+1)!)xk+1 and differentiate both sides?

Not much, differentiation might not preseve the inequality (I might not see what you have in mind here?)

You can go from k to k+1 by a definite integral though (I'll leave it to Xcron to set up).

Related to Proof w/ natural log and Riemann Sum

1. What is the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln(x), is the inverse function of the exponential function e^x. It is a mathematical function that describes the growth rate of continuously increasing processes.

2. How is the natural logarithm used in proofs?

The natural logarithm is commonly used in proofs involving calculus and exponential functions. It can help simplify equations and make them easier to solve.

3. What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing up their areas. It is an important tool in calculus and is used to find the area under non-linear functions.

4. How is the natural logarithm used in Riemann Sums?

In some cases, the natural logarithm can be used to simplify the Riemann Sum formula and make it easier to calculate the area under a curve. It can also be used to approximate the area under certain non-linear functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of using natural logarithm and Riemann Sums?

The natural logarithm and Riemann Sums have many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and statistics. They are used to model growth and decay, calculate probabilities, and solve optimization problems.