Propeller powered car questions

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to increase the speed of a propeller powered car with a 6 volt battery pack. Suggestions include using a nozzle shaped design, experimenting with the pitch of the propeller, and considering ducted fans or augmenter tubes. The use of rocket nozzles for this purpose is debated, and resources such as a book on electric motor power and charts on propeller power are mentioned. It is also noted that the design of the propeller and displacement of air are important factors in increasing thrust.
ARC123
I'm trying to build a propeller powered car. Right now I'm trying to find ways to make if faster because I'm limited to a 6 volt battery pack. I was wondering if I used a nozzle shaped design like they do for rockets if it will make it faster or slow it down. The propeller is 6 inches and I was going to use a 3D printed material to build it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nozzles on rockets are designed for supersonic flow - the area decreases then increases as it reaches supersonic. The force of your propeller will be best if it has no resistance behind it, just be able to move the maximum amount of air to propel the car.

Likes Merlin3189
I think you are right about improving thrust with a "nozzle", though I'm not sure that rocket nozzles are the right idea. I'd look at ducted fans first. Then at augmenter tubes. The aerodynamics behind rocket nozzles might help, but I suspect not too much at such low speeds.

this link has a simple account of ducting.

Likes Ketch22 and bsheikho
Perhaps experiment with changing/optimising the pitch of the propeller. Measure the speed of the car first then change the pitch and re-measure the speed. Make small changes do several runs with each prop. Keep careful notes so you can find the optimum pitch.

Increasing the pitch should increase the top speed but will reduce the initial acceleration. You might find that the best pitch for top speed means the car won't always start without an initial push (eg if the ground is rough).

Here's a book, if you can spend a few dollars, that explains electric motor power and also two charts that gives power absorbed by various props, based on diameter, pitch and speed. Also a wiki link to the Astroflight company.
I,m not sure how much information you can find doing an internet search, but this would go a long way to getting the answers you are looking for IMHO. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AstroFlight

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0964406500/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes BvU
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiX8eKD2oXPAhWG7CYKHQYRChUQjRwIBw&url=%2Furl%3Fsa%3Di%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dimages%26cd%3D%26cad%3Drja%26uact%3D8%26ved%3D0ahUKEwiX8eKD2oXPAhWG7CYKHQYRChUQjRwIBw%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fslideplayer.com%252Fslide%252F4179827%252F%26bvm%3Dbv.132479545%2Cd.cWw%26psig%3DAFQjCNELO77unL8P6dpLu40rhLO8so2cIg%26ust%3D1473627918576314&bvm=bv.132479545,d.cWw&psig=AFQjCNELO77unL8P6dpLu40rhLO8so2cIg&ust=1473627918576314 The fluid flow through rocket nozzles are typically for supersonic flow conditions, but when reversed they enhance the flow of subsonic flow. Think of water flowing through the end of a hose and placing your thumb across the end the velocity will increase when you decrease the area. You need to be thinking about the air displaced by the propeller which will increase your thrust. Geometries of the propeller will be one of the largest factors.

1. How does a propeller powered car work?

A propeller powered car works by using a propeller, similar to those used on airplanes, to create thrust and move the vehicle forward. The propeller is powered by an engine, typically a gasoline or electric motor, which turns the blades and creates a force that propels the car forward.

2. What are the advantages of a propeller powered car?

One of the main advantages of a propeller powered car is its efficiency. The use of a propeller allows for a more streamlined design, reducing drag and improving fuel efficiency. Additionally, propeller powered cars are typically lightweight and relatively simple in design, making them easy to maintain.

3. Are there any downsides to using a propeller powered car?

While propeller powered cars have many advantages, there are also some downsides to consider. One of the main limitations is the need for a smooth, flat surface to operate on. This means that these vehicles may not be suitable for all types of terrain, such as rough or mountainous areas. Additionally, propeller powered cars may not be as fast as other types of vehicles.

4. Can a propeller powered car be used for long distance travel?

Yes, propeller powered cars can be used for long distance travel. In fact, some propeller powered cars have been designed specifically for long distance races and have set records for distance traveled on a single tank of fuel. However, as mentioned before, the terrain and conditions of the route will need to be taken into consideration to ensure the vehicle can operate effectively.

5. Are there any safety concerns with propeller powered cars?

As with any type of vehicle, there are some safety concerns with propeller powered cars. These vehicles can be more difficult to control in windy conditions, and the propeller itself can be a potential hazard if not properly maintained. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regularly maintain the vehicle to ensure safe operation.