Propelling a model maglev train

In summary, Danger is working on a model maglev train that uses permanent magnets and metals for levitation. He needs ideas to propel it forward, and has attached a picture showing how the model works. He is ready with a perfect model, but has a problem with how to propel it with needed speed. He has thoughts about using wound electromagnets with an iron core attached to the train, powering the rails with a salvaged PC power supply, using brushes, and rotating the magnets to change the direction of the magnetic force/repulsion on the train.
vidarth
Hey,

I have managed to make model maglev train that uses permanent magnets and metals for levitation. It levitates all right but i need ideas to propel it forward. I have attached a picture showing how the model works. Please reply if you have any ideas.

Thanks.

Attachments

• maglev.GIF
    maglev.GIF
    8.5 KB · Views: 3,072
Engineering news on Phys.org
If it's only the lift component that has to be magnetic, you could just put a propellor on the back to push it around. Real maglevs use pulsed magnetic polarity changes for propulsion, but I don't know whether or not you have the ability to achieve that.

I can build electromagnets and manually change the polarity to propel the train but the problem is that I am not able to build strong enough electromagnets to actually cause any motion I have tried it out. As for the propeller idea I don't know how to make a propeller (other than one which is a fan attached to a motor with dc supply). So I'll google propeller models and see if it is feasible for me.

Thanks for the reply danger. Any other suggestions are welcome.

One of the real commercial systems uses powered wheels that contact the underside of the track. Maybe you could sneak one of those in underneath, attached to the plate holders.
The other thing, though, is how you have your permanent magnets oriented. Every second one (linearly) should be a north. You then place pulsing (alternating pole) electromagnets where you have your steel plates. You'd need something fast, like optical switching, to make it work.

Last edited:
I am ready with a perfect aglev train model
it levitates gud and well
the oly problemis how to propel the train with needed speed

I can actually think of a fairly simple way to make this work: Consider that maglev trains are simply fancy linear electric motors, and that using a brush is always an option.
My proposition is this: Use wound electromagnets with an iron core attached to the train. Then power the rails with a salvaged PC power supply; I've used power supplies for high current applications before and the 5V line can handle upwards of 30A. Then use brushes: If you can manage to find a -5V supply as well, you could use 3 rails with the train contacting them by brushes. The left rail would be at -5V, the right at 5V, and the center connected to ground. One side of the electromagnet would be permanently connected to the ground brush; the other would be connect to a brush on both the left and right sides of the train. The rails on the left and right sides would alternate, so that when the train was over a north magnet the magnetic field of the electro magnet would be north, then when it moved to the next segment, the rail would be the opposite polarity, and so would the field created. It would be up to you to figure out the right amount of offset so that the fields switched such that you would repel off the end of a segment and be attracted to the next.

As for the construction of the interface, I'd use a thin sheet of aluminum foil for the rail, and a metal tab for the brush, with one end fixed to the train, and the other contacting the rail. A spring half way between would provide pressure against the rail.

Hi.. I am currently doing a project exactly like what you are doing now..

I have read through quite a number of articles relating to Maglev propulsion system, I think a synchronous stator linear motor would be the solution. But I am having trouble in finding the 3-phase linear stator motor..

what's wrong with a prop? Are you trying to demonstrate a scaled version of the real stuff? In that case get brushed up on your electrical engineering.

If you just want to push the thing, a prop will do just fine.

You might also fiddle around with rotating the magnets to change the direction of the magnetic force/repulsion on the train.

Related to Propelling a model maglev train

1. How does a model maglev train work?

The model maglev train uses magnets to levitate the train above the track, eliminating the need for wheels. The train is propelled forward by the repelling force between the electromagnets on the train and the magnets on the track.

2. What makes the model maglev train move?

The model maglev train is propelled forward by the electromagnetic force between the magnets on the train and the magnets on the track. The train's motor provides the electric current to power the magnets, creating a repelling force that propels the train forward.

3. How fast can a model maglev train travel?

The speed of a model maglev train depends on various factors, such as the power of the magnets, the length of the track, and any potential air resistance. However, some model maglev trains can reach speeds of up to 500 kilometers per hour.

4. What is the advantage of using a model maglev train?

The main advantage of using a model maglev train is its high speed and efficiency. By eliminating the use of wheels and reducing friction, the train can travel at higher speeds and consume less energy. Additionally, the lack of physical contact between the train and the track reduces wear and tear, resulting in lower maintenance costs.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using a model maglev train?

One potential drawback of using a model maglev train is the high cost of building and maintaining the track and infrastructure. Additionally, the technology is still relatively new, and there may be safety concerns that need to be addressed. The train's reliance on electricity also means that power outages or disruptions could affect its operation.