How Do I Solve for Mass Using the Proportional Relationship in Astronomy?

In summary, when given an equation in the form of ##P^2 \propto \frac {a^3}{M_s}##, it is possible to solve for M by treating the equation as ##P^2 = \frac {a^3}{M_s}## and using a reference point or other extra information to calculate the constant of proportionality. This constant can be determined empirically and is not necessarily provided in the equation itself.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

In an astronomy problem, I am given ##P^2 \propto \frac {a^3}{M_s}## and I must solve for M. How do I use an equation like this? Is this not the same as ##P^2 = \frac {a^3}{M_s}##

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is to treat the given equation as ##P^2 = \frac {a^3}{M_s}## and solve for ##M_s = \frac{a^3}{P^2}##

Physics news on Phys.org
With ##
P^2 \propto \frac {a^3}{M_s}## you have ##
M_s \propto \frac {a^3}{P^2}## so if you know M at some P and a you can calculate (solve for) M when given M for some other P and/or a, but that's all you can do. So you need a kind of 'reference point '

Likes Calpalned
BvU said:
With ##
P^2 \propto \frac {a^3}{M_s}## you have ##
M_s \propto \frac {a^3}{P^2}## so if you know M at some P and a you can calculate (solve for) M when given M for some other P and/or a, but that's all you can do. So you need a kind of 'reference point '
Understand, so the ##\propto## symbol requires some kind of reference point.

Instaed of taking this as P^2 = (A^3)/M [I'm dropping the subscript for easy of writing] as you suggest, I would take it as P^2 = K*(A^3)/M where k is a "constant of proportionality" and can only be solved for when, as BvU says, you have a reference point. Anyway, it gives you M = K * (A^3)/(P^2) which, again, is only a full solution once you have a reference point that allows you to calculate K.

Calpalned said:
Look at Newton's Law of Gravity, for example. First he figured out that the forces were proportional to the product of the masses divided by the square of the distance between them, THEN he (well, someone later actually) figured out the value for M which is the constant of proportionality for that equation.

And note that M is determined empirically, by getting lots of reference points measured very accurately and I'm not sure who got the modern value but it wasn't Newton.

Calpalned said:

No, a "reference point" is not necessarily required. You could, instead, be given the "constant of proportionality" or some other type of extra information that would enable you to know the equality form. Certainly, having a reference point is likely the most common form of such extra information, but it is not the only form.

Related to How Do I Solve for Mass Using the Proportional Relationship in Astronomy?

What is the difference between proportionality and equality?

Proportionality refers to the relationship between two variables where one variable changes in direct proportion to the other. Equality, on the other hand, refers to the state of being equal or having the same value or status.

How are proportionality and equality applied in scientific research?

In scientific research, proportionality is often used to determine the relationship between two variables, while equality is used to ensure fairness and impartiality in experimental design and data analysis.

Are proportionality and equality always mutually exclusive?

No, proportionality and equality can coexist in some cases. For example, in a scientific study, two groups can be treated equally while still having a proportional relationship in terms of the treatment they receive.

What are some potential advantages of using proportionality over equality in scientific research?

Proportionality allows for a more nuanced understanding of the relationship between variables, whereas equality may oversimplify complex relationships. Additionally, proportionality can account for individual differences, while equality assumes sameness.

Can proportionality and equality be applied to social and societal issues?

Yes, proportionality and equality can be applied to social and societal issues, such as income distribution and access to resources. In these cases, proportionality can help identify and address inequalities, while equality can be used to ensure fair treatment and opportunities for all individuals.