Propositional function problems

Thank you for pointing out the error. Here is the updated version:(a) Let P(x): x ≥ 0, Q(x): x < 0Domain = ℝ∴A∩B = {}(b) Let P(x): x < 0, Q(x): x ≥ 0Domain = ℝ∴ A ⊂ B (meaning A ⊆ B but A ≠ B)(c) Since x ∈ A - B, it means that x is in A but not in B, so P(x) is true but Q(x) is false.∴ The truth value of Q(x) is false.(d) For x ∈ A - B; P(x) ∨
Mezza
1. Suppose P(x) and Q(x) are propositional functions and D is their domain.
Let A = {x ∈ D: P(x) is true}, B = {x ∈ D: Q(x) is true}

(a) Give an example for a domain D and functions P(x) and Q(x) such that A∩B = {}
(b) Give an example for a domain D and functions P(x) and Q(x) such that A ⊆ B but A ≠ B.
(c) Given that x ∈ A - B, what is the truth value of Q(x)?
(d) Given that x ∈ A - B, what is the truth value of P(x) ∨ ¬Q(x)?

My Attempt.

(a) Let P(x): x ≥ 0, Q(x): x < 0
Domain = ℝ

∴A∩B = {}

(b) Let P(x): x ≥ 2, Q(x): x ≥ 3
Domain = ℝ

∴ A ⊂ B (meaning A ⊆ B but A ≠ B)

(c) Well, we let A = {x ∈ D: P(x) is true} and we are only in part of set A with no overlap with set B.

Only P(x) is true in this part of A (no overlap with set B where Q(x) is true).

∴ Q(x) is false.

(d) For x ∈ A - B; P(x) ∨ ¬Q(x) = TRUE OR (NOT FALSE) = TRUE OR FALSE = TRUE.

I'm brand new to logic and I'd like to check my solutions for any errors and / or improvements.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the point ##b## we have that ##Q(x)\Rightarrow P(x)## so ##B \subset A## and not what you said ...
Ssnow

What are propositional function problems?

Propositional function problems are mathematical problems that involve using mathematical functions to model real-world situations. These functions are typically represented using propositional logic, which is a type of formal logic that deals with the relationships between propositions or statements.

How are propositional function problems solved?

Propositional function problems are typically solved using logical reasoning and algebraic manipulation. The first step is to represent the real-world situation using propositional logic, and then use logical rules to simplify the problem. Algebraic manipulation can also be used to simplify the functions and solve for the desired variables.

What types of real-world situations can be modeled using propositional function problems?

Propositional function problems can be used to model a wide range of real-world situations, such as population growth, financial investments, and chemical reactions. Any situation that involves relationships between variables can be represented using propositional functions.

What are some common strategies for solving propositional function problems?

Some common strategies for solving propositional function problems include identifying the variables and their relationships, using logical rules to simplify the problem, and using algebraic manipulation to solve for the desired variables. It is also helpful to check the solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the real-world situation.

How can I improve my skills in solving propositional function problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving propositional function problems. It is also helpful to understand the properties and rules of propositional logic and algebra, and to familiarize yourself with different types of real-world situations that can be modeled using propositional functions. Working through example problems and seeking help from peers or a tutor can also be beneficial.