Prove that every real number x in [0,1] has a decimal expansion.

In summary: That would be an approach that works, but it is not very elegant. In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that every real number x in [0,1] has a decimal expansion. The proof involves showing that a real number t without a decimal expansion cannot exist, by considering the intervals I_{k_1,k_2,...,k_n} for different values of i. However, it is important to note that these intervals are not independent, and the proof must take this into account. One way to do this is by considering the first i where t is not in the interval.
robertjordan

Homework Statement

Prove that every real number x in [0,1] has a decimal expansion.

Homework Equations

Let [itex]x\in{[0,1]}[/itex], then the decimal expansion for x is an infinite sequence [itex](k_{i})^{\infty}_{i=1}[/itex] such that for all i, [itex]k_i[/itex] is an integer between 0 and 9 and such that [itex]x\in\left[\frac{k_1}{10}+\frac{k_2}{10^2}+\cdots +\frac{k_n}{10^n},\frac{k_1}{10} +\frac{k_2}{10^2}+ \cdots +\frac{k_{n}+1}{10^n}\right][/itex].

We call that interval above [itex]I_{k_1,k_2,\ldots,k_n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume BWOC that there exists a real number [itex]t\in[0,1][/itex] with no decimal expansion. That means there exists an [itex]N\in{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex] such that for all sequences [itex](k_{i})^{N}_{i=1}[/itex], [itex]t{\notin}\left[\frac{k_1}{10}+\frac{k_2}{10^2}+\cdots +\frac{k_N}{10^N},\frac{k_1}{10}+ \frac{k_2}{10^2}+ \cdots +\frac{k_{N}+1}{10^N}\right][/itex].

But [itex]I_{0,0,\ldots,0}\cup I_{0,0,\ldots,0,1} \cup I_{0,0,\ldots,0,2} \cup \cdots \cup I_{9,9,9,\ldots,9} = [0,1][/itex]
(That big string of unions is supposed to denote breaking up [0,1] into the union of intervals of size 10-N, but I didn't know how exactly to write it... you get the idea though.)

So [itex]t{\notin}I_{0,0,\ldots,0}\wedge t{\notin}I_{0,0,\ldots,0,1} \wedge t{\notin}I_{0,0,\ldots,0,2} \wedge \cdots \wedge t{\notin}I_{9,9,9,\ldots,9}[/itex] implies [itex]t{\notin}[0,1][/itex], which is a contradiction.

How does this look? Advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be careful with the negation. "For all x exists a sequence such that for all i [...]" negated is "There is a t without a sequence such that for all i [...]", or "There is a t such that for all sequences, there is an i where [...] is wrong."
The problem here: Those intervals for different i are not independent. If you consider some specific i, it is possible to find an appropriate interval, sure. But that restricts the intervals for other i. The proof is still possible, but you have to take care of this. You could consider the first i where t is not in the interval, for example - if there are i with that property, there is a first one as well.

1. What is a decimal expansion?

A decimal expansion is a way of representing a number using its decimal digits. For example, the decimal expansion of 1/2 is 0.5 and the decimal expansion of 3/4 is 0.75.

2. How do you prove that every real number x in [0,1] has a decimal expansion?

This can be proven using the definition of a real number, which states that a real number is a number that can be expressed as a decimal. Since the interval [0,1] includes all possible decimal numbers between 0 and 1, it follows that every real number in this interval must have a decimal expansion.

3. Is the decimal expansion of a number unique?

Yes, the decimal expansion of a number is unique. This means that no two different numbers can have the same decimal expansion.

4. Can all numbers be represented using decimal expansions?

No, there are some numbers, such as irrational numbers, that cannot be represented exactly using decimal expansions. However, they can be approximated to any desired degree of accuracy using decimal expansions.

5. Are there other ways to represent numbers besides decimal expansions?

Yes, numbers can also be represented using fractions, percentages, scientific notation, and other forms of notation. However, decimal expansions are commonly used because they provide a convenient way to represent and compare numbers.