Proving Convergence Test: 5 Statements Explained

In summary, if n^2 an → 0 as n → ∞ then ∑ an converges, if n an→ 0 as n → ∞ then ∑((an )^2) converges, if ∑ an converges absolutely then ∑((an )^2) converges, and if ∑an converges absolutely then |an | < 1/n for all sufficiently large n.
rainwyz0706
There are five statements:
(a) If n^2 an → 0 as n → ∞ then ∑ an converges.
(b) If n an→ 0 as n → ∞ then ∑an converges.
(c) If ∑an converges, then ∑((an )^2)converges.
(d) If ∑ an converges absolutely, then ∑((an )^2) converges.
(e) If ∑an converges absolutely, then |an | < 1/n for all sufficiently large n.

I suppose that a,d,e are true, not quite sure about b,c.
Could anyone please give me some hints how to prove the statements or give some counter-example? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
rainwyz0706 said:
There are five statements:
(a) If n^2 an → 0 as n → ∞ then ∑ an converges.
(b) If n an→ 0 as n → ∞ then ∑an converges.
(c) If ∑an converges, then ∑((an )^2)converges.
(d) If ∑ an converges absolutely, then ∑((an )^2) converges.
(e) If ∑an converges absolutely, then |an | < 1/n for all sufficiently large n.

I suppose that a,d,e are true, not quite sure about b,c.
Could anyone please give me some hints how to prove the statements or give some counter-example? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Start by trying to prove the ones you think are true. For the ones you think are untrue, look at the series whose behavior you know, and see if any might serve as a counterexample.

Show us what you have tried, and we'll take it from there.

Last edited:
(a) There exists N such that |n2an| < 1 for all n > N. Where can you go from there?

(b) Trying the same trick as in (a) doesn't quite work. In fact, a counterexample is the series [itex]\sum_{i=2}^\infty \frac{1}{n\log n}[/itex]. Prove that it is a counterexample.

(c) Think about alternating series.

(d) What is the limit of |an| as n tends to infinity? What is the size of an2 relative to |an|?

(e) This is a weird one and precisely as you've stated it, it isn't true. Are you sure you want |an| < 1/n where the subscript and denominator are both the same n?

I've got them. Thanks a lot!

Related to Proving Convergence Test: 5 Statements Explained

1. What is the purpose of proving convergence tests?

The purpose of proving convergence tests is to determine whether a given series converges or diverges. This is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to make accurate predictions and draw conclusions based on the behavior of a series.

2. What are the 5 statements used in proving convergence tests?

The 5 statements used in proving convergence tests are the divergence test, comparison test, limit comparison test, ratio test, and root test. These statements provide different ways to determine if a series converges or diverges.

3. How is the divergence test used in proving convergence?

The divergence test states that if the limit of the terms of a series does not approach 0, then the series must diverge. This is used in proving convergence by showing that if the limit of the terms does approach 0, then the series must converge.

4. What is the purpose of the comparison test in proving convergence?

The comparison test is used to compare a given series to another series with known convergence behavior. If the second series converges and the first series is always smaller than it, then the first series must also converge. This is helpful in proving convergence for more complicated series.

5. How do the ratio test and root test differ in proving convergence?

The ratio test and root test are similar in that they both compare the terms of a series to a geometric series. However, the ratio test looks at the ratio of consecutive terms, while the root test looks at the nth root of the terms. Both tests can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, but one may be more useful than the other depending on the series being evaluated.