Proving Core of a Group is Normal in G and Subset of H

In summary, the core of H, defined as the intersection of all conjugates of H in G, is a normal subgroup of G and is contained within H. To prove this, it is necessary to show that core(H) is a subgroup and that for any element a in G, acore(H)a^-1 is equal to core(H). By the one-step subgroup test, it can be concluded that core(H) is indeed a subgroup. Thus, the core of H is a normal subgroup in G and is a subset of H.
Punkyc7
Let H be a subgroup of G and define the core of H as such
core H={g[itex]\in[/itex]G| g[itex]\in[/itex]aHa^-1 for all a[itex]\in[/itex]G}= [itex]\bigcap[/itex]{aHa^-1|a[itex]\in[/itex]G}
Prove that the core of H is normal in G and core H[itex]\subset[/itex]H.

I am having a hard time proving this because isn't the definition of core H basically saying the the core is normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is pretty close to tautological, but as I like to say if it's so obvious it should be easy to prove. You need to do two things:

1) Prove core(H) is actually a subgroup
2) Prove that for a∈G, acore(H)a-1=core(H)

Ok so would I say something like
If e is in core H becaus aea^-1=e
Let g and h^-1 be in the core then

ag^a-1(aha^-1)=agh^-1a^-1 ...is this right?
so its a a sub group by the one step subgroup test.

As long as you state that that's true for all a, that looks good to me

Ok thanks, I thought there might have been something I was missing

Related to Proving Core of a Group is Normal in G and Subset of H

1. What does it mean for the core of a group to be normal in G and a subset of H?

For the core of a group to be normal in G and a subset of H means that the elements in the core of the group are invariant under conjugation by any element in G, and also belong to the subgroup H. In other words, the core of the group is a normal subgroup of G and a subset of H.

2. How do you prove that the core of a group is normal in G and a subset of H?

To prove that the core of a group is normal in G and a subset of H, we need to show that the elements in the core are invariant under conjugation by any element in G, and that they also belong to the subgroup H. This can be done by using the definition of normality and the properties of subgroups.

3. What are the benefits of proving the core of a group is normal in G and a subset of H?

Proving the core of a group is normal in G and a subset of H can help us better understand the structure of the group. It also allows us to use the properties of normal subgroups, such as being able to form quotient groups and use the isomorphism theorems.

4. Can the core of a group be normal in G and a subset of H, but not a subgroup of H?

Yes, it is possible for the core of a group to be normal in G and a subset of H, but not a subgroup of H. This can happen if the core is a proper subset of H, meaning it does not contain the identity element.

5. Is the core of a group always normal in G and a subset of H?

No, the core of a group is not always normal in G and a subset of H. It depends on the specific group and subgroup in question. In some cases, the core may not be a normal subgroup or may not even be a subset of the subgroup H.