Proving eigenvalues of a 2 x 2 square matrix

In summary: They start out referencing eigenvalues, but then it seems to switch gears and talk about inverses. I'm not sure if they're trying to say that an inverse does not exist, or if they're just confused about the terminology.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1684972106439.png

Does someone please know why the equation highlighted not be true if ##(A - 2I_2)## dose not have an inverse?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this,
View attachment 327021
Does someone please know why the equation highlighted not be true if ##(A - 2I_2)## dose not have an inverse?

Many thanks!
You “take” the matrix to the other side of the equation by multiplying from the left each side of the equation by the inverse. If the inverse does not exist, one cannot multiply by it.

Likes FactChecker and ChiralSuperfields
Eigenvalues ##\lambda## for a matrix ##A##are defined to satisfy ##Det(A-\lambda I)=0##. This comes from ##Ax=\lambda x ##, so that ##(A-\lambda I )x=0 ##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
@ChiralSuperfields, what textbook are you getting this stuff from? Your thread here seems related to two of you recent threads. As I mentioned before, finding eigenvalues of a matrix has nothing to do with finding the inverse of a matrix.

The definition of an eigenvalue (usually represented by ##\lambda##) is that for some specific vector ##\vec x##, ##A\vec x = \lambda \vec x##, or equivalently, ##(A - \lambda I)\vec x = \vec 0##. If we restrict ##\vec x## to nonzero vectors, it must be true that ##|A - \lambda I| = 0##. That means that ##A - \lambda I## does not have an inverse.

One other thing. Near the bottom of the attachment you posted it says
But by definition,
##\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix} \ne \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##

Unless it was specifically stated that this vector was nonzero somewhere above what you posted in the attachment, the line I quoted makes no sense.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and Steve4Physics
Mark44 said:
@ChiralSuperfields, what textbook are you getting this stuff from? Your thread here seems related to two of you recent threads. As I mentioned before, finding eigenvalues of a matrix has nothing to do with finding the inverse of a matrix.

The definition of an eigenvalue (usually represented by ##\lambda##) is that for some specific vector ##\vec x##, ##A\vec x = \lambda \vec x##, or equivalently, ##(A - \lambda I)\vec x = \vec 0##. If we restrict ##\vec x## to nonzero vectors, it must be true that ##|A - \lambda I| = 0##. That means that ##A - \lambda I## does not have an inverse.

One other thing. Near the bottom of the attachment you posted it says

Unless it was specifically stated that this vector was nonzero somewhere above what you posted in the attachment, the line I quoted makes no sense.
Thank you for your replies @Frabjous , @WWGD , and @Mark44!

I understand now :) @Mark44, this is not from a textbook but course notes.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
this is not from a textbook but course notes.
It's hard to tell where they're going with these notes.

Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents how a linear transformation affects a vector. In other words, it is a value that when multiplied by a vector, results in a new vector that is in the same direction as the original vector.

2. How do you find the eigenvalues of a 2 x 2 square matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a 2 x 2 square matrix, you first need to calculate the determinant of the matrix. Then, using the quadratic formula, you can solve for the two eigenvalues by plugging in the values of the determinant and the elements of the matrix.

3. Why is it important to prove the eigenvalues of a 2 x 2 square matrix?

Proving the eigenvalues of a 2 x 2 square matrix is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the matrix and its impact on vectors. It also helps us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations.

4. Can a 2 x 2 square matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a 2 x 2 square matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This occurs when the determinant of the matrix is negative, resulting in the use of the imaginary unit, i, in the quadratic formula.

5. How do you use eigenvalues to diagonalize a 2 x 2 square matrix?

To diagonalize a 2 x 2 square matrix, you need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. The eigenvectors form the columns of the diagonalizing matrix, while the eigenvalues are used to create the diagonal matrix. This process allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the original matrix.