Proving Independence of Fano's Geometry Axiom 4

In summary, Fano's Geometry has a model with no equations, where each line has 3 points, and the center of the model is common to all lines.
SportsLover

Homework Statement

In Fano's Geometry, we have the following axioms a. There exists at least one line b. Every line has exactly three points on it c. Not all points are on the same line d. For two distinct points, there exists exactly one line on both of them e. Each two lines have at least one point on both of them

We were asked to create a model, and I was able to do that with no problem. Where I ran into problems was in the second part. The second part was to prove that the 4th axiom(part d) was independent. I am stuck on how to make this happen.

Homework Equations

There are no equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

When attempting the problem I think I need to remove one of the lines off of my model. I am not sure if this is a step in the right direction. If it is, I am not sure where to go from there. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I never studied Fano's Geometry, although I think I saw it in a proof that there's, up to isomorphism, a unique simple group of order 168.
But let me try to help you.
Can't you create a model that does not satisfy d) but satisfied all the other axioms?
I was thinking about it, the axiom d says "exactly one". So I think that we can keep adding lines.
I thought the following, I hope I'm not wrong.
We create a circumferencee with 2n points on it, equidistants. For example, n=4. Also we add the center as a point. Lines are then, diameters of the circle that touch a pair of antipodal points.
Doesn't this satisfy all the axioms but d.?
a. There are n lines, take n>0 and you're done check
b. Everyline has exactly 3 points. check
c. Not all points are on the same line. Take n>1 and you're done.
e. The center is common to all lines. check
In which subject did you found out this? I find it very interesting, sadly I never had anything similar in my college.
Also, it doens't satisfy d, as there isn't a line that joins two points in the circle that are not antipodal (remember n>2, so there are at least 2 points that are not antipodal).

Last edited:

1. What is Fano's Geometry Axiom 4?

Fano's Geometry Axiom 4 is one of the five axioms proposed by Italian mathematician Gino Fano to describe the properties of a finite geometry. It states that for any three distinct points in a line, there exists a unique fourth point that does not lie on the line.

2. Why is proving independence of Axiom 4 important?

Proving independence of Fano's Geometry Axiom 4 is important because it helps to establish the consistency and completeness of the axiomatic system. It also allows for a better understanding of the properties and relationships within finite geometries.

3. How does one go about proving independence of Axiom 4?

There are several different methods that can be used to prove independence of Fano's Geometry Axiom 4. One common approach is to construct a counterexample, where a finite geometry is created that satisfies all other axioms but violates Axiom 4. Another method is to use logical deduction and proof techniques to show that Axiom 4 is not a consequence of the other axioms.

4. What are some potential implications of proving independence of Axiom 4?

Proving independence of Fano's Geometry Axiom 4 would have significant implications for the study of finite geometries. It could lead to the discovery of new geometries that do not adhere to this axiom, providing a deeper understanding of the diversity and complexity of finite geometries. It could also potentially lead to the development of new mathematical concepts and theories.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the independence of Axiom 4?

There is ongoing debate and discussion among mathematicians about the independence of Fano's Geometry Axiom 4. Some argue that it is a fundamental axiom that cannot be proven independent, while others believe it is possible to find a finite geometry that violates this axiom. Further research and exploration in this area may shed more light on this topic.